Sanding between coats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have an alternative to this or am I doomed forever to repeat it whenever I paint?

Sponsored Links
In the main, sanding between coats is only required when the previous coat has cured.

By that I mean that waterbased over waterbased within a two (or so) day period does not require sanding.

The window for oil based is longer.

That said there are some products that will adhere pretty well without any sanding, eg the alcohol shellac based Zinsser BIN. unfortunately it is a pig to work with and thus it requires sanding to remove tramlines.

There are a number of liquid abrasives that can be wiped on/wiped off. I have never used them personally though. Alternatively there are products such as webrax.

I guess the extent to which you need to provide a key will depend on which products you intend to use: Can you be more specific?

It might not be sexy but the "preparation, preparation, preparation" mantra exists for a good reason.

I'm glad you said that about bin opps, i see it recommended a lot as an undercoat but i've always struggled to apply it on trim etc without leaving a crap finish. Did a rad using the aerosol and that worked out ok so carry a can on the van now its great for spot priming stains, and saves the hassle of getting a brush and kettle out and the inevitability of chucking the brush afterwards, pricey but worth it time wise.

I don't mind sanding between coats as i know it improves the finish, i just give it a really quick going over no more than about 1-2 minutes on an architrave. The important thing is to dust/vacuum/tac rag off when done

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.
What I tend to do is repaint surfaces when they are due so will be going over gloss.
If not I will be painting new wood so would use primer, undercoat and then gloss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back