SANICOMPACT ...PIPEWORK ? ADVICE PLEASE !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am about to fit a sanicompact macerator toilet.. as it states on several sites they are easy to fit ( except electrics will get a pro for that)..the distance from the toilet to the soil pipe in total pipe length is approx 13ft ( at ground level )..with an upward vertical lift at the end of pipework into soil pipe of about 14 inches..having read about horizontal & vertical lift i know the macerator can handle the distance ..my question is...will it be fine to use 32mm ring seal push type plastic pipe & connectors ( the pipe size for the sanicompact is 32mm).... thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
hi i have always used solvent weld waste pipe.Would not use push fit they can blow apart easily and that would leave a nice mess behind peter :confused:

hi, i looked at solvent weld type...is it the same type of pipework( 32mm plastic type) but different connectors? & is it easy to get..ie from diy store or plumbers merchants? also would not melting the pipes together so to speak.. make it even harder to trace a blockage where as with push fittings they can easily be taken apart section by section if needs be, i am NOT doubting your advice..just loking at all angles..cheers again

Sponsored Links
It is the same 32mm but it is not interchangeable with pushfit fittings. There is a very small difference between pushfit and solvent weld, the only way you can join one to the other is with compression waste fittings.

I should not worry, peter will be standing in your bathroom. (his words not mine)

seriousy, you are right, but why will it get blocked? as peter said, pushfit joints can get blown apart, now think about it for a minute, what would you rather have? a new coat of brown "paint" every where or solvent weld pipes?

other thing is, it doesnt matter what pipes you have they can always be re joined, but you would still get the back flow running from the pipe.

both types of pipe you can get from plumbers merchant or diy shed,

Did you know macerators were invented by the French?

and be carefull what gets flushed down the loo, they dont like anything stringy, eg, cotton wool, hair, they get stuck in the teeth and jam it up

so then...let me get this right...can i get solvent fittings for the 32mm pipe (forget the push fittings for now ) am i right in saying that? if so...how long does it take for the solvent to set & how easy is it to apply? ( not worried if it is messy...just looking for easiest option...as you may have guessed i am not a plumber but not to bad at diy :D

Yes,you can do the 32mm in solvent weld,it cures very quickly,you just prepare the joint by cleaning it first with the chemical cleaner (available from any decent plumbers merchants with the adhesive) and then apply the adhesive with the brush which is supplied in the tin.Apply the adhesive to the pipe and the socket joint and don't disturb it for a couple of minutes apart from wiping excess glue from the joint-you can add an access point to the pipe along it's length somewhere if you're worried about blockages.

solvent needs ABS pipe and not pvc (pushfit etc.. pipe).

A Saniflo training video that i watched the other day stated that the only acceptable method of jointing is solvent weld and use 2 X 45 degree fittings for a 90degree bend instead of a single 90 degree fitting (elbow).

hopefully last post ...so then if i have read all the answers correctly..i do the following...
1, the first connection from the saniflow is 32mm (no option) i have to connect first 32mm pipe to a rubber type fitting onback of saniflow with a jubillee clip..then tighten..(as per saniflow instructions)
2,i then connect the next piece of pipe using a solvent weld connector (which will be slightly bigger than the 32mm pipe) and put solvent onto inner & outer of both pipe & connector..( not to much but enough)
3, push together then wait for a few mins for solvent to react & set
4, then follow the same system to end of pipework..that correct?

* i really am not stupid...just want to be sure of what i am doing :D *

and as for being careful what goes in there...as its for my 87yr old mother in law...i suppose she would block it? or i might...with her !!!! :(

well, after all the great replies in such a short time,i would like to thank you all....but could someone just read my last post ( not this one :D ) about the route i am going to take and let me know once and for all if what i have typed is correct..just a simple yes ( or i dread to say a no ) will be fine...thanks again

Yes-that sounds about right but justmake sure you use the correct pipe-you cannot use solvent weld fittings on pushfit pipe-it has to be abs-if you ask in the merchants they will tell you the correct pipe to use and pushfit will not fit even the 32mm.

thanks chr...yes..i am definately now using the abs pipes & solvent weld etc..may i ask one more question?..it says in the saniflow instructions that to use... two 45 degree joints to make a slow turn rather than using ONE 90 degree turn ( to do with a smoother flow i believe ) but looking at the connecting of two 45 degree angles..it seems to me that they will jut out farther from the wall that i would like...is that correct ?..or will they join together and be quite flush to the wall?..i have not got them yet so cannot try them out..thanks again ( sorry about all this )

It must be on everyone's minds, so I've just got to say this:

Why oh why oh why are you about to ruin your life by fitting a saniflow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back