Saunier Duval 60ff won't ignite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Saunier Duval 60ff, and I can't get it to ignite. I turned the control unit for both HW and CH and it did nothing. It did this before a long time ago and turning it on and off did the trick, but not this time. When turned on it makes no noise at all, no humming, no clicks etc. It's 10 years old, and the fan was replaced about 4 or 5 years ago - but that got noisy before it went last time.

Googling seems to indicate that a common reason for boilers not starting at all is not enough pressure, but I can't see either a pressure gauge or any way to fill it up, and the manual seems to contain little reference other than saying it should be at least 0.7 bar. As far as I know the heating has a header tank in the loft (which does contain water) and the hot water system is mains pressure, so I'm assuming that both of these are adequately pressurised.

We have solar water heating, so the boiler does not do much over the summer, but it has definitely been running in the last week or so - which implies that it hasn't jammed up over a long summer shut down.

Does anyone have any ideas before I try to find an engineer in the morning?

(btw I know they aren't very good boilers - most sites seem to agree on that)

Sponsored Links
Whilst the S-D combi was dreadful, the heat only as I think yours is is not that bad!

But we dont give DIY advise on gas/combustion aspects which may well be what your problem is.

Before calling anyone make sure they are comfortable with your boiler and will not charge anything if they cannot diagnose the fault.

It is not a very common model and so most engineers will not be that familiar with it.

Tony

Yes, it's a Xeon. Don't worry, I'm not going to try replacing parts or anything like that, I just don't want to get someone out if it's likely to be something like turning a tap or pushing a trip switch back in. It would also be reassuring to have some idea of what might need doing to it.

Sponsored Links
Need more details on the system really.

Have you tried the reset button on the front (behind the cover)?

You do need to make sure there is water in the system too.

Thanks for your feedback.

The reset button is pushed in (red button on the control box at the bottom). Not sure how to check that it's filled with water. There doesn't seem to be a specific way to fill it with water (sounds like some boilers have something on the boiler itself to do this). The boiler itself seems very basic. It has the reset button, a knob that turns it off and is also the temperature control, and a gas service cock, which is in the on position (and hasn't been touched recently).

As previous post, hot water system and central heating system both appear to be filled, but perhaps there is something else I have missed.

There's no pilot light, but it's self lighting so this is normal when it's not running.

I'm assuming that as the separate control unit is turned on as normal (between the fused switch and the boiler), it isn't a fuse. (The circuit breaker was still in too). Do you think that is correct?

They are actually pretty reliable.

But if you have a live supply to the boiler and a call for heat and its not igniting then its engineer time.

Tony

Dan did not notice my mistake! Should I edit to correct or just leave it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back