Saunier Duval Central Heating HELP PLEASE !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

First time posting here and I'm hoping/begging you guys can help me !!

I have a SAUNIER DUVAL F24e boiler in our flat. We have been refurbishing the flat and replacing the radiators along the way.

A few months back I replaced a few radiators and I remember that I had problems getting the boiler to kick back in. I filled it, drained it, topped up, bled the air etc etc and eventually it came back on... after a few days.

I have just replaced the last two radiators and once again have a similar problem. I have re-filled with water, bled the air from the radiators, run the hot tap for a minute or two and got the pressure up to what it should be.
However if i turn on the heating or hot water, it seems to call for hot water as you can here the boiler whirring BUT it then displays the fault light after about 10seconds and does not fire up.

It doesn't even try to fire up as I cant hear the clicking and the pressure isn't dropping so I cant figure it out.

It was working fine prior to connecting the radiators and as the pressure seems fine, I'm presuming that theres not a leak?!

The problem wouldn't be quite so bad but I can't get hot water and my girlfriend is quickly running out of patience.

Any thoughts, hints, tips would be amazing and you would make me a happy man.

Thanks in advance

Antony

Sponsored Links
To make your girlfriend happy get a plumber!

It may just be air inside the boiler but thats probably a difficult job for a DIYer.

You should never have drained the system including the boiler which should just have been isolated.

Tony

In an ideal world you are indeed correct and I should get a plumber out. However finances just don't stretch that far at the moment and I'm hoping its a quick fix as I know it cleared last time.

From a novice point of view, it could well be air in the system. It cleared last time eventually AND the boiler sounds like there is air in there when the pump starts working (for 10seconds anyway)

Any ideas how I can clear the air? I have released some air from the pump using the big silver screw, but not fixed the problem as yet

Thanks soo much

Antony

You might find that repeating switching between hot water and heating for a minute or so each MIGHT eventually cure it.

But my expectation is that it could well require something done inside which would not be an easy or safe DIY job.

Although I don't employ plumbers, its girlfriends that I find are expensive!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agreed!

Looks like I might end up having to get a plumber in then.
It hasn't shifted and I'm not sure the girlfriend will out up with another day.

Fixed!!

I got a plumber around this evening who had a quick look and told me he couldn't fix this evening and he'd have to get someone else back tomorrow.
Luckily he didn't charge me and was very nice.

I then removed every electrical plug and cable, before re fitting and testing.
Still no luck.
Then I discovered the one thing I had overlooked .... thermistor reset switch, hidden away from all the other electrical items.

Pressed the button and hey presto !!

It must have tripped when it tried to run and there was only air in the system.

Happy man now though

Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back