SAUNIER DUVAL PILOT WONT STAY ON

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pleae can someone help me. i have a saunier duval boiler which is old but im not sure of the model. Today the pilot light went out and i cant get the boiler to now stay on. On teh front is a black switch which you press to fire the boiler up and hold in for 20seconds. Within that black switch is a green button which stays 'in' when the boiler fires up but everytime i try, the green buttom pops back out after about 6 sconds of the pilot light coming on and it dies out. The only way i can get the button to stay in and the pilot light to stay on is if i leave the hot water tap running in the bathroom or put the heating on. I Tried both seperatly and ran the water and heating seperately for an hour each. The piolt light stays on and i hve heating/ water. However, aafter about 6 seconds after i switch the heating off or turn the hot water tap off, then the green button 'pops' out again and the pilot light dies again. Please help, i have been trying to get the boiler to stay on all day and i have blisters on my thumb! many thanks

Sponsored Links
The pilot light heats a thing called a thermocouple which has a thin copper pipe going to the gas valve (pilot section). When the thermocouple is hot enough it keeps the gas valve open to keep the pilot burning.

Sounds as though you need a new thermocouple.
Or possibly the pilot jet needs cleaning or adjusting so it heats the thermocouple better. But this will only buy you a few weeks, you will need a new thermocouple eventually.
and a Gas engineer to install it.

Looks like this but you need the correct model for your boiler.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...charset=UTF-8&fh_search=thermocouple&x=11&y=9

Beat me to it but....

If the lower part of the front panel is made of metal then lift off the top part - the model number is printed in the middle - probably an SD620 (sometimes in French).

If the lower panel is plastic it will probably be a 623 or thelia.

The problem you have is likely to be a blocked pilot injector. This is normally a 5 minute job for a corgi to clean plus safety checks. Sometimes its just a worn out thermocouple.

However these old Saunier Duvalls are notorious for leaks (left hand side generally) and many will not want to look at it since its not acceptable to leave a boiler leaking like a sieve..

Hiya
the lower panel is metal and yes,.,it already leaks underneath, slow drips so i know its definately on its way out, i just want it to go for another 4months or so if possible. Does the Thermocouple cost much to replace do you know? Thanks so much for both replies, its greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Only ever changed a couple of thermocouples on the 620 so they are very reliable parts (it may not be standard but probably no more than £20.00) - however it may just be a partially blocked pilot.

I suggest you phone arouind to see if anyone is willing to look at it as it involves the gas train and combustion chamber.

Thank you for your help. By the way is it true that plumbers charge less to fit a new boiler in the summer, tahn in the winter?!

Don't know gave up installing - too much low life from abroad working illegally, too many unregistered cowboys, but work can be a little quieter in the summer so prices may be a fraction lower.

I dont have any real evidence but I would expect that it could be considerably cheaper to get a boiler fitted during June, July and August.

Tony

The TC is also wired in with an OH stat which may also be playing up.

Any one ever installed a boiler Christmas day!?

Never fitted on on jaysus' bday but fixed a few

as for charging less i expect its a supply and demand thing but most decent installers (I am surprise there are some too but there you go ;) )
are pretty busy all the time,

I expect the most you can expect from a boiler fit by a decent firm in the summers is dont have to wait quite so long as the winter

babyboo121 said:
Thank you for your help. By the way is it true that plumbers charge less to fit a new boiler in the summer, tahn in the winter?!

Not usually, just looks as though they were cheaper when the prices go up for the next winter :eek: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back