save some money-on diy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
you can save on expensive nails/screws if you visit pound shops they sell packs of nails /screws /fittings -which are fine for general diy -i also never throw any spare nails /screws away they always come in handy -

if you notice any useful looking wood etc in a builders skip they will let you take it if you ask nicely in most cases -particularly if its a council contractor they waste a bit of stuff at times-and it wont go to waste/recycling

with the cost of materials it makes sense to me to try and save what you can

Sponsored Links
tbh I wouldn't look twice at pound shop nails/screws or the fixings you get with products. For the sake of a few pence I'd rather use good quality stuff you know wont shear off / round off on you.

Agreed. A lot of stuff now comes with screws etc that might as well be made of cheese for all the strength they (don't) have. There's saving money, and there's buying cheap sh*t that'll be nothing but a PITA.

I agree 100% but i have used the pound shop nails for mostly fencing and bits and bobs and they have been quite adequate for the job but if its the high quality work then yes its the pukka stuff every time ;)

Sponsored Links
Where do most get their wood screws? online? local place?

im assuming if i wonder into B&Q im going to be paying through the nose.

Im hoping to start some new projects in my new house and first the first time and could do with getting a load of different sizes and types so I have something ready for the jobs

Where do most get their wood screws? online? local place?

im assuming if i wonder into B&Q im going to be paying through the nose.

Im hoping to start some new projects in my new house and first the first time and could do with getting a load of different sizes and types so I have something ready for the jobs

I go Screwfix or Toolstation, and stack up. Gold screws for me.

I have on the odd chance gone to Wickes/B&Q

toolstation or screwfix (nearly) all the time

most their stuff is cheaper than even cheap ebay deals!

Be careful though - some things are more expensive!!

I tend to use Amazon or eBay to buy my fixings as they are usually good quality and a fairly good price. I prefer to plan things to be sure I get the right sized fixings in advance. Anything is better than leaving it to the last minute and being ripped off by B&Q

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back