scaffolding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hope this is the right section (i'm new). we bought this house and moved in a few months ago. we have a short drive with off road parking enough to get our car and motorbike on just! there is very limited parking in the street and it's always taken. our neighbour called in today to say he needs access to our drive for scaffolding when he gets his roof done. he is going away for six months and says it may be done while he is away. he said that the scaffolding may be there 'for some time' and that we would not be able to park in our drive. i have no objection to helping in this way but don't relish the idea of having to find a parking space in the street (especially as the nights are drawing in and the weather is poor) 'for some time'. it is also our only exterior access to the rear of our property. what are my rights? has anyone else had this problem.

i should also mention that my motor insurance is based on my car being parked in my drive and also scaffolding would straddle the fence and gate to the back of the house which could compromise the security of my property

Sponsored Links
Inform your neighbour (in writing) that his terms are not acceptable, and refuse permission on this basis. Also add that you will agree provided the work is carried out over, say a two week period.

he has no right whatsoever to place it on your property without your permission, so he needs to come up with a more reseonable time frame, or not at all!

Legally, he does actually have rights to access your drive for maintenance to his property - The Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 gives him those rights - if he chooses to pursue this properly via the court.

The options are that he goes via the court, or you reach an agreement between yourselves, but either way you should not be left at a disadvantage.

You want the scaffold to be there for a reasonable time - two weeks for re-roofing is ample (subject to weather). And and a commitment to remove it promptly after that time, or else risk a penalty (ie £10 a day).
Don't accept a "Oh yes it will only be there two weeks" - get a written agreement

Also if you have to park elsewhere, you will need to pay for more insurance cover - so he must compensate you for your extra costs, and some sort of extra agreement if your car is damaged whilst parked elsewhere.

Whether you want to ask for more general compensation for inconvenience is up to you.

Sponsored Links
Will there be space for you to park on his property whilst he is away and the scaffoding is up?

What precautions is the contractor taking to prevent damage to cars parked near the scaffold? (falling debris etc.)

Having just returned from France builders there use scaffolding that bolts to the wall and needs no support from the ground. Is this an option for them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back