Scale inhibitors - do they really work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Can't get used to hard water. Am fed up of cleaning limescale off the shower, don't like it in tea and am worried about new boiler.

Girlfriend doesn't want a salt softener (plus that wouldn't help with tea or boiler) so only these left

p4518519_l.jpg

or this

p1033709_l.jpg

Do they Really work? Any experience of them?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
some people say they do

some people say Geoffrey Archer is innocent.

I have been very pleased with my real softeners (south downs springs, chalky water)

they do help with tea.

Sponsored Links
The electric ones are a waste of time, and the sesi's in my opinion are not far behind :eek:

For a good clean cup of tea buy a Brita water filter jug. There is a world of difference between limescale and chemicals/impurities that cause the scum on a cup of tea ;)

my 2 p worth.

there are similar things sold for ponds to stop the uvs from scaling up, some say they work some say they would be better off with a bag of S**t

there is no actual proof either way

mind you, i suppose a bag of s**t smells

there are also magnets and a whole host of other gadgets all of which can not provic#de scientific proof they actualy work

Im on my second softener, had one for 20years and wouldnt be without it. You dont drink the softened water, You pipe for a hard water drinking tap on the kitchen or utility sink. (And an outside tap)
I never have to clean off limescale, and the ceramics/sinks/showers always look shiney and new. The washing m/c, dishwasher are nice and clean and sparkling inside and the clothes are better and softer for it. My daughters always come round and wash there hair (when we let them) and say how much better there hair is with the soft water.
I have a Tapworks softener, it takes a bag of salt about every three months , so running costs are low. Get one and you wont look back. Send your girlfriend round here we,ll put her right!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL:
regards chrisey

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back