Scale inhibitors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No doubt this has been covered before, but I'm new here so please be gentle.....
I live in a hard water area - not so bad as to goose the kettle etc but when I replaced my immersion heater element recently there was a fair bit of limescale on it. So, looking at my bible - aka Screwfix Direct catalogue - I see such things like scale inhibitors made by Salamander. 15mm connection, presumably magnetic for £35 or so. Are these things any good - or a bit too good to be true?
Any comments welcomed and good evening, all. Cheers John

Sponsored Links
Magnetic scale inhibitors?

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Burnerman said:
... but I'm new here so please be gentle.....

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

You're right, it's been asked LOADS of times before. The replies are always the same from the same people.

The reply from me is that the magnetic and electronic ones are no effin use. They are so useless they are not even allowed to advertise the magnetic ones in the USA, and people who did have been fined £millions. It's a pity the same fate doesn't befall the peddlers over here.

If anyone tells you they work, ask for TEST RESULTS. You will probably be told they can do even better as their customers tell them how wonderful they are. Well their customers would hardly say they were taken for a mug, parted with loads of money for a piece of tat.

A silicon polyphosphate unit like an Aquadial or Combimate would do something useful.

Oilman is right, the Combimate as a minimum, I believe they guarantee it will make some difference.

Sponsored Links
Save up for an ion-exchange softener like a Permutit. They really do work and are wonderful.

But softened water is difficult to get things clean with.

No doubt this has been covered before, but I'm new here so please be gentle.....
I live in a hard water area - not so bad as to goose the kettle etc but when I replaced my immersion heater element recently there was a fair bit of limescale on it. So, looking at my bible - aka Screwfix Direct catalogue - I see such things like scale inhibitors made by Salamander. 15mm connection, presumably magnetic for £35 or so. Are these things any good - or a bit too good to be true?
Any comments welcomed and good evening, all. Cheers John

This will prevent any scale build up in hard water areas........
http://www.waterking.co.uk/PDFs/ScaleStop_UK_data_sheet.pdf

Balenza, do you have a reference to any test results?

I have an electronic one that appears to provide a benefit.

You have to know where to fit them. ;)

BTW, the Combimate is made by Aquadial.

Burnerman said:
... but I'm new here so please be gentle.....

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

You're right, it's been asked LOADS of times before. The replies are always the same from the same people.

The reply from me is that the magnetic and electronic ones are no effin use. They are so useless they are not even allowed to advertise the magnetic ones in the USA, and people who did have been fined £millions. It's a pity the same fate doesn't befall the peddlers over here.

If anyone tells you they work, ask for TEST RESULTS.

It is strange that many major manufacturers recommend them. A bit pot-luck but I have found the decent one tend to work more often than not.

The perceived scale reduction nowadays is nothing more than the relatively high chlorine levels used. Nothing to do with gadgets. It's all very well putting magnets on your pipes, but if you don't use a control, you have no reference to compare the results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back