Scantronic 7448 won't reset tamper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 15 year old Scantronic alarm.
I was cleaning and knocked the control box, resulting in the alarm going off.
It wouldn't reset and I had to wait 10 minutes for the external siren to stop.

I removed the control box lid, expecting the alarm to set off again. It didn't. I noticed the tamper switch inside the control box is very loose. You can rock it sideways quite a bit. I suspect this has failed, somehow.
The separate keypad just has the red tamper led lit.

A few questions:
1. Should I replace the 7448 with a newer model, using the same wiring and PIRs etc?
2. How can I stop the external siren while I work on the control box, either removing the board to investigate and repair the tamper switch, or replace it with something newer?
3. The separate keypad accepts the user code and beeps once after the 4th digit, but nothing sets.
4. I tried entering a new user code 1234, in case it had lost NVMemory. It went to full alarm, stopped by entering the correct user code.

Sponsored Links
Stretch the spring and try resetting it with your code , a panel tamper shouldn't set off the external sounder when I set
AND it's 9448 not 7448

Absolutely remarkable. What a credit you are, and what a superb Forum this is.
I tried lengthening the spring, but the metal seems very soft after 15 years. I found a fancy plastic tyre valve cap that is just right to extend the overall length of the spring.
I pushed it into the spring, refitted the cover and entered the code twice into the keypad.
Robert's your Dad's brother. You fixed it for me and I'm very grateful, thanks.

Oh yes, it is a 9448

Out of curiosity, do you have an Engineer manual for the Scantronic 9448, please?
After 15 years I'd like to change the unit for something more modern.
It has been totally reliable, until I knocked it, but the steel case looks ancient compared to modern plastic ones, and I want to see what would be involved in a swap.

Sponsored Links
Still make it ( 9448+/style) and the case is the same ....plastic case available but the metal one is more sturdy ...

Thanks again.
I could do with a manual.
I suppose I could paint the metal casing, but it's located in the downstairs WC room, so all our visitors see it on the wall.
I just want something a bit more appealing, after all this time.
I've noticed that you're in Sheffield. I'm in Goole, about 25 miles away off M18 J4.
I used to have a bloke who came each year to service the alarm. He fitted a new Pyronix Belle bell box and a Yuasa NP2 battery some years back, but the cost was always £200 each year. Martin Pertwee. I've tried Googling him, but can't find anything.
Do you do alarm services, please?

If your thinking of swopping / upgrade of the panel , the Pyronix Euromini is a nice small panel , metal endstation around the same size , blue backlit LCD keypad with prox , I know goole as I used to repair the door entry systems for the council up to 2 years ago ...

Martin Pertwee just disappeared. I had a contract with him to service our alarm every year for about £200.
He came here for about 10 years and then just stopped coming, around 4 years ago.
I'd really like to just pay someone to swap the panel. Can you do it, or recommend someone, please?
The alarm is a complete nuisance, so we only use it when we go on holiday. I was only wiping the surfaces yesterday, and put a bottle of Flash cleaner on the metal casing. The flipping thing caused a full alarm, so I'd like to get shut of it.
Plus, it doesn't look very nice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back