Schumacher

Sponsored Links
Ten place grid penalty for the next race.
He always used to be a liability when he was racing for the title but to make collecting a single point for tenth place into a life or death contest . . its time he quit. He will not be missed.

i think he has the right to defend the racing line.. thats what they get paid the big bucks for.. big risks
Plus the pit crew look happy not pi55ed off..

F1 is for people who live dangerously..

i think he has the right to defend the racing line.. thats what they get paid the big bucks for.. big risks
Plus the pit crew look happy not p****d off..

There's defending the racing line and then there's Schumacher's reckless endangerment.
I'm surprised Schumy hasn't been responsible for the death of a F1 driver yet.

Sponsored Links

The stewards didn't see it that way - the reason is simple. Changing your racing line once to block someone is a legitimate move but this assumes the person you are blocking is behind you.
What MS did was to move accross as he was being overtaken and forcing RB dangerously close to the wall.

It might be remembered that Mercedes gave up motor racing for over 30 years when a mercedes car ploughed into a crowd killing 80 spectatpors at Lemans. A rerun they do not need.

schumacher was on the racing line, rubens was trying top under take him to beat him to the apex.., therefore schumacher has every right to defend his position and the line into the apex by moving over..

nope,
next corner was a right hander and both needed to be accross the other side to get the right lead in. Shuey deliberately strayed accross where he had never even used and didn't need to use. The whole move was a block to stop RB getting the inside to the next corner and as mentioned it wasn't a block in the end but a dangerous move that could have ended in disaster.
Anyway I'm no expert obviously but the stewards made in my opinion the right decision.

schumacher was on the racing line, rubens was trying top under take him to beat him to the apex.., therefore schumacher has every right to defend his position and the line into the apex by moving over..

Wrong! Look at ANY lap prior to this with ANY driver.
None of them, including Schumacher, goes anywhere near the pit lane line when approaching this turn. They need to be further over to THEIR left to cut the apex at its point of least G-Force.
He was entirely wrong in what he did and I firmly believe if it had been someone other than Barrichello he woulkd have reacted differently. The thought of being overtaken by an ex team mate who he considered inferior was to embarrassing for him.

We all know that Schumacher wasn't averse to taking out opponents to win championships/ points. He always had some sort of excuse though and the FIA seemed to ignore the obvious danger he was putting others in.

No racing line involved on this one im afraid, and the pit crew are not racing along at 175mph are they. They have done their work, and as long as their driver is doing well then their happy. I think the radio conversation summed up the view of Barrichallo's race engineer.

F1 is for people who live dangerously

Agreed, but not for Kamakazee pilots who have no respect for another racers life. :rolleyes:

Ten place grid penalty for the next race.
He always used to be a liability when he was racing for the title but to make collecting a single point for tenth place into a life or death contest . . its time he quit. He will not be missed.
Fortunately Michael has done so, never give up, if it were not so would not have won seven world titles.
And as he said the space was sufficient Rubens otherwise would not have passed, the formula 1 is not for sissies.

The space was enough when RB started going past but then MS shut the door. MS cannot say there was room as RB had to leave the track. MS as always only ever says what he himself wants to hear.

I have a strong motorsport background and raced karts for ten years and that move would not even have been allowed in one of my club meetings let alone a world stage.

The stewards penalised mS because slow motion replay revealed MS was not just covering a line but using his mirrors to watch RB and waited until RB was going past before he made the move.
MS is lucky today that his footnote in Formula One was the deliberate killing of another driver to settle an old score that had festered for years.

Im no racing driver, but Ive looked at this clip a few times now.
You can clearly see­ Schumacher head dipped left coming down the straight,­ then head dips right for a long while as he watched­ Barrichello coming down the right side. Schumacher­ could have easily blocked off that route sooner but­ didn't, he clearly waited to move over after­ Barrichello was along side. On stopping the clip, RB had­ his front wheels level with MS's rear wheels. At­ this point there was a tyres width between the cars and­ the same between RB's and the white line. MS than­ made a further move right after the overtake, you can­ actually see RB's front wheel heading for MS's­ front wheel. Quick reaction of RB averted a crash with­ just a few inches to spare from the end of the pit­ wall. If the wall didn't end there it would have­ been a horrible crash.
IMHO the 'powers that be' need to make it clear to others drivers including MS that­ reckless driving shouldn't be part of F1.

I think this one is six of one and half a dozen of the other.

It was clear which direction Schumacher was heading, and it was closer to the barriers. Any move in that direction by Barichello was obviously going to get the door closed. Schumacher didn't break any rules defending his line. He is allowed to move over once,which he did,and it was a gradual movement and not an outright swerve across.
If he was so superior in speed he should have perhaps sent a dummy to get Schumacher to react and then gone the other way, or just let Schumacher outbrake himself and pass him.

Barrichello was as bad. To complete that move anyway,he had to cross the white line,so he was effectively off the track. What if someone had been coming out of the pitlane? In trying to overtake on that side,he was always going to cross the pit exit line. Thats dangerous anyway in my opinion. Drivers exiting the pits are not allowed to cross the line until its finished and they can then rejoin the track safely. So why are cars doing 200mph+ allowed to swerve and weave over that line on the straight when overtaking.?

If drivers dive for a diminishing gap and then complain of a squeeze when chopped off, they should maybe think a bit harder about trying to overtake someone near a wall in the first place.

Yaleguy, think you missed a word out of your last sentence but we know what you meant;

MS is lucky today that his footnote in Formula One was not the deliberate killing of another driver to settle an old score that had festered for years.

When Schumacher was being interviewed after the race by the BBC lady commentator, (Lee/Louise ), he seemed to be thinking carefully about what he was saying instead of protesting his innocence like he used to. The 'smirk' was missing.
The guy has/had talent but I think it was a big mistake to make a comeback after 3 years. Expectations of him by both himself and the fans were too high and I don't think he'll be back next year despite having a 3 year contract.

Sponsored Links
Back