Scottish independence.

If and when England becomes independent of Scotland, the Scots Gnats will have performed their purpose. Will they still be needed?

That's actually a decent point. There are members of the snp who have said that the party could dissolve after independence is secured, as it will have fulfilled its reason d'être. A great many people who want independence are only voting snp as a means to an end. I don't think for a second that the party will disband, but they will be in for a shock if they think that after independence they will be a shoe in to govern the nation. There will be very interesting times as the scots political system develops. At the moment, the snp is the only left leaning party, but there is a strong,and growing,movement of grassroots Labour Party members who are greatly disillusioned with the current system, and what they see as labours betrayal of core party beliefs. What needs to be understood, is that a vote for independence is NOT a vote for the snp (or Alex Salmond). In the event of a yes vote, there will be a general election which will be contested by several new parties, maybe even a Scottish Conservative party! Maybe not...

Sponsored Links
Also as there are probably more Scots living in England, do they get to vote? I'll wager not, because they wont have that chip on their shoulder about the English, so Alex Salmond will ignore them.

As a Scot, exiled south of the border for many, many years (and never likely to go back to live anyway) I do hope the Scottish electorate see right through Salmond and his nationalistic rhetoric. As others have pointed out Alex Salmond isn't doing this for Scotland's benefit, rather he's doing it for his place in history.

Also as there are probably more Scots living in England, do they get to vote? I'll wager not, because they wont have that chip on their shoulder about the English, so Alex Salmond will ignore them.

As a Scot, exiled south of the border for many, many years (and never likely to go back to live anyway) I do hope the Scottish electorate see right through Salmond and his nationalistic rhetoric. As others have pointed out Alex Salmond isn't doing this for Scotland's benefit, rather he's doing it for his place in history.

Well you certainly pulled the wool over our eyes, all this time you have been using a false name, joinerjohn when all along you have been joinerjock... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Maybe we should all be voting on a kind of UK trade agreement - a bit like the EU for the UK. All member countries run themselves independantly but linked by trade. All that's needed for that is an English Parliament and everything would be ready to go.

Sponsored Links
Maybe we should all be voting on a kind of UK trade agreement - a bit like the EU for the UK. All member countries run themselves independantly but linked by trade. All that's needed for that is an English Parliament and everything would be ready to go.

I think we had that when we first joined the EEC. That was before the 'let's conquer Europe by economic means' bid took place.

If scotland does choose to become independant then it would then have to make a new application to become a member of the EU but as all new applicants must now agree to use the Euro this could prove intresting!!!

I see how this thread is evolving from Scottish Independence, to the EU. I'll just say that the European Economic Community (which is what we actually signed up for in the early seventies) , and what we have now, are two completely differing beasts. The one we signed up for was on a leash. The one these youngsters know these days, has it's hand on UK's leash. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

If scotland does choose to become independant then it would then have to make a new application to become a member of the EU but as all new applicants must now agree to use the Euro this could prove intresting!!!

And where does that leave us? We would not be the UK that signed up in the 70s as Scotland would be missing, would we be excomunicated? Would we have to reapply?

C'mon Salmand! you can do it!! :cool:

And where does that leave us? We would not be the UK that signed up in the 70s as Scotland would be missing, would we be excomunicated? Would we have to reapply?

C'mon Salmand! you can do it!! :cool:

The imp in me really wants to see a yes vote, I'd love to watch them dance to what ever tune their masters call! Really... Suicide.

Scotland would be better off independent.

Smaller, more local democracy is always better.

But they can't be independent if they go into the EU, as they will have to either stick with the pound, or adapt the Euro.

Independence without currency, is not independence.

Scotland would be better off independent.

Smaller, more local democracy is always better.

But they can't be independent if they go into the EU, as they will have to either stick with the pound, or adapt the Euro.

Independence without currency, is not independence.

Well, IF you believe what is said, they cannot keep the pound, nor currently be eligible to join the EU.

How much UK debt are they going to take, a per capita amount? (favourable) How much oil revenue are they going to take, a per capita amount? (unfavourable)

Far too many unanswered questions.

Do a wee bit of reading eddie and you will find the pound question has got a different answer now after westminster lying.
Dance to suicide, really ? why do you think tories and labour do not want to see the union split , its not because they like the jocks

Alex Salmond is like a petulant child determined to flex his muscles regardless of the consequences.

A break-up of the United Kingdom would be a disaster. Why throw away 300 years of common history? The two parts will not be as good as the whole.

One hopes the Scots will have the common sense not to make a huge step into the unknown, for their sakes as well as ours south of the border.

It is not a vote for Alec salmond , milliband or cameron its a vote for SCOTLAND .

England had an attachment to france for several hundred years after 1066 are you saying yous still should be part of france ? oh no because thats in the past .

Yep time moves on and if it happens its because the people want it not business not politicians but the people who matter and not the people in other countries

It is not a vote for Alec salmond , milliband or cameron its a vote for SCOTLAND.
Are you being told the truth?

England had an attachment to france for several hundred years after 1066
We were conquered.
Conveniently forgotten when these same people carried on to Wales, Ireland and Scotland.

are you saying yous still should be part of france ? oh no because thats in the past.
Of course not.
WE want our land back, too.

Yep time moves on and if it happens its because the people want it not business not politicians but the people who matter and not the people in other countries
Do the people know what will happen?

Sponsored Links
Back