Scrap Metal (Copper) Prices

We are always hearing about hos the price of scrap metal has done through the roof and I would be grateful if someone could advise me how much to expect from my stash!

I recently had a 2br house completely replumbed and had loads of pipes and a copper tank removed. Any ball park figures?

If you want a figure to deduct the value of the scrap from the plumber's bill, that is a different question and depends on what was in the quotation. If the quotation involved something like replumb and leave the site clean, it belongs to the plumbers and has no value to you.

Sponsored Links
No it doesnt quote would have to actually mention the scrap as it belongs to customer .If your building it into the price it should be stated to remove confusion.
Site clean does not cover this

No it doesnt quote would have to actually mention the scrap as it belongs to customer .If your building it into the price it should be stated to remove confusion.
Site clean does not cover this

Any rubble, broken floorboards, scrap insulation, broken-up wash basins, rusty radiators, etc, belong to the customer as well. Some of it has a resale value. Leaving the site clean means it is all cleared.

MMM thank you for pointing that out i would never have worked that out.
The stuff still belongs to the customer they may choose to keep whatever before site is cleared .

Some wood in amongst rubbish customer says thats handy i can use that to repair something. Are you going to say no you cant have it its mine i said i would clear everything so give me some money for it or i will put up the price of job

You would be told to take a flying f##k to yourself.

You have to state clearly the scrap value is part of the job and not just you will get rid of the rubbish , cause a cylinder worth 50 quid is not rubbish.

Recently had customer ask me to requote due to having done some of work themselves .
Agreed price of job had changed as couple of hundred quid of scrap had gone and put the price up as it outweighed the work they had actually done.

Sponsored Links
MMM thank you for pointing that out i would never have worked that out.
The stuff still belongs to the customer they may choose to keep whatever before site is cleared.

It belongs to the customer unless specified otherwise and most customers aren't interested in scrap.

In this case, it should be clear that the OP said she wanted the scrap and the job was priced accordingly. I have had people who wanted to renegotiate the agreed price after the work was completed and scrap value was one tactic tried. The contract terms and conditions should state what is to be left.

Customers are not interested in scrap because they dont realise the value of it nowadays ten years ago it was different.

Is that not what i have said that you have to state what is being taken not just site cleared . make your mind up.

Scrapy around my way knocks 2kg off cylinder weight if lagged and will disc cutter them open if he hears rattling inside but overall very fair with prices

You seem to have a very fair scrap yard.

I dont normally go to any of these places as its either stolen from me or I give it to helpful trainees.

I did pass a yard a few months ago and I was surprised to nfind them melting down the lead and casting them into ingots.

Was that to disguise that they came from a church roof or do they get best price that way?

How do others find yards deal with foam lagged cylinders?

Is that not what i have said that you have to state what is being taken not just site cleared . make your mind up.

I have made my mind up; it "depends on what was in the quotation", as I said in the first post.

I wouldn't use vague terms like "leave the site clean" as in the example I gave. Others have and have then found the customer had a different interpretation to theirs. .

I did pass a yard a few months ago and I was surprised to nfind them melting down the lead and casting them into ingots.

Was that to disguise that they came from a church roof or do they get best price that way?

I'm fairly certain that they should not be doing that, the lead will contaminate both the ground and air. They were probably destroying markings on stolen roofing lead. I'd e-mail the environmental health officer but expect them to do nothing.

Apparently lead roofs on churches have - Property of God - stamped on the underside of each sheet . Like mason`s marks on the stonework

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back