screeding and French doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im in need of a bit of advise with the following.

here is a diagram of my floor screeded up to the bricks, this was a mistake on my behalf. i should of either made them smaller or removed them so the screener could screed up to the cavity.

I need to fix this issue quickly, the top will have floor tiles, this is my idea for a fix;

Is this a sensible work around?

if not can anyone suggest a better way?

if i tile over the top of the cavity closer wont that be a weak point with heavy foot traffic like this;

if i add a batt vertically will that prop up the closer?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
The cavity closer needs to go. While is serves that function and also as a DPC, you are right, it is not man enough for supporting floor tiles.

An alternative is a concrete closer, using something like tiles as a permanent shutter and supporting them on plenty of wall ties (cranked if need be) incorporate a DPC laid vertically behind the outer leaf between it and the concrete. The concrete extends across the top of the cavity and the inner leaf. Take another row of bricks off internally to get the concrete a sensible thickness. If the inner leaf DPC is exposed make sure it is not damaged.

The cavity closer needs to go. While is serves that function and also as a DPC, you are right, it is not man enough for supporting floor tiles.

An alternative is a concrete closer, using something like tiles as a permanent shutter and supporting them on plenty of wall ties (cranked if need be) incorporate a DPC laid vertically behind the outer leaf between it and the concrete. The concrete extends across the top of the cavity and the inner leaf. Take another row of bricks off internally to get the concrete a sensible thickness. If the inner leaf DPC is exposed make sure it is not damaged.

Hi Blagard, sorry edited my post as you were writing,

The new concrete will be approximately 30-35mm deep and 1 brick width. too thin?

the dpc is right underneath the high brick so removing another course will be a right pita.

I hear what you say about a more solid bridge....slate?

Sponsored Links
Concrete would need to be at least 50mm with a small aggregate. insitu was what I had in mind because it locks into place better.

You may get away with cut paving slabs but some support is still needed on the outer leaf, again using some ties may do. Perhaps take the slabs all the way over bearing say 25mm on the outer leaf. Cut the back off the bricks below the frame.

Edit: slate may do, but ensure it is decent in thickness and strength

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back