Screw stuck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure where this post should go in the forum but hopefully I've got it right.

I've taken a radiator down for painting and had to take the bracket that supports the radiator down too. I tried putting it back on the wall last night but ran into a strange problem. The radiators have been on there for years and the holes and wall plugs for the brackets are obviously old. I ignored this and tried screwing the bracket back on using the original screw and wall plug. I think what happened it that when I unscrewed the screw originally, some plaster or something must have dropped into the hole so that when I tightened the screw up last night with an electric screw driver, it wouldn't go back in fully. Worse than that though, the screw is totally stuck and I can't even get it out again!

The more I try, the more the screw driver slips and is gradually wearing away the screw head.

Has anyone got any tips for getting the screw out again? It really is stuck fast and won't tighten or loosed - totally useless and totally in the way!

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Try this first,

File two opposite sides of the head down to form flat parallel surfaces and then use a pair or mole grips or similar (flat against wall) to turn the screw, this will give better levergae and has worked for me in the past.

Alternatively, put a piece of ply against the wall and use a wrecking bar to prise the screw and fixing from the wall. You will then need to make good the hole and uses a new fixing etc.

Great idea, thanks!

I did try pulling the screw out in desparation but it wouldn't budge so the old wall plug is still doing it's job which is good to know!

Sponsored Links
Go to a DIY or tool store & buy a screw extractor [drill bit with a reverse threaded head].
Drill the appropriate sized hole into the stuck screw a couple of mm deep, and then drill out using a power driver / drill. Presto, sorted and no damaged plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back