Screwfix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I placed an order last Fri for 30 items - £100+, and it was delivered this morning with no mistakes. I was a bit reluctant to risk it after mistakes on my previous order before Xmas, but it looks like normal service resumed then.

Sponsored Links
shaggy,
hate to admit it but they do seem to have got back to some semblence of normality, and theyve got rid of anc too. still usueless at picking up returns though, took three attempts to get it right.

Nice one Shaggy I also got my screwfix order today but I ordered mine on the 8th . the postman was not happy, it was a heavy parcel, I was pleased to find that they didnt put half a forest in catalogues and packing notes in it this time.

Same here, no unnecessary paperwork but lots of air. This box was 75% air!
1108409589_DSCN0167(Small).JPG

Sponsored Links
pic17.jpg
(alt+p)[/img]

this was the one I got a few weeks ago, this was the condition it arrived in I had'nt even opened it!!!.

Nothing got broke and I didnt wont to wait another week so I kept it,anyway it was the post offices fault. but I took the photo as proof before I opened it incase of loss or damage.

What do you expect if they deliver stuff by quadbike? :LOL:

The air-packing annoys me too. I feel it necessary to pop every bubble before I put it in the bin, otherwise the landfill will be full of air bubbles. I really wish they would use less of it, very little of what I have bought at Screwfix is particularly breakable.

AdamW said:
What do you expect if they deliver stuff by quadbike? :LOL:

The air-packing annoys me too. I feel it necessary to pop every bubble before I put it in the bin, otherwise the landfill will be full of air bubbles. I really wish they would use less of it, very little of what I have bought at Screwfix is particularly breakable.

Even better, mate, is to recycle it. If it's plastic, and has a recycle logo plus a number on it (as most air packaging has these days), it can be recycled. Sometimes, there's letters denoting the type of plastic, eg LDPE (Low Density Polyethylene).

Don't throw anything into a pit that can be recycled!

I recycle paper, card, glass, metal, plastic, and any garden waste. At the tip, they even segregate wood and wood products for recycling. They take books, clothes, shoes, anything really that can be reused. After that little lot, there's hardly anything that ends up in the ground.

From a bloke who couldn't give two stuffs what he threw away 10 years ago, I'm getting more and more green.

My mother (who was a war baby and reuses everything, making do and mending etc) told me I was wasting my time recycling as I used effort energy and resources (water etc) to recycle stuff, and that was a waste. I might as well not bother.

The way I see it is that my "wasted" resources mean that a % of a commodity can be reused and avoid the necessity to use more raw materials to make a fresh batch of whatever. Why make (for example) dustbins out of virgin material when they can be made just as well out of recycled product?

Our area is excellent at some aspects of recycling, not others. For instance, tomorrow a second dustcart comes round and picks up my newspapers, cans and glass (all separated). Great stuff. All we need is a plastics recycling box and that is probably 80-90% of what I throw out, recycled.

That remaining 10-20% is largely food that has gone off, which with me is very little except for fruit (I buy and eat loads of the stuff, but invariably it goes bad soon enough), fruit would be great for composting. So, with the addition of a plastics collection and a compost bin that would be pretty efficient, thinking about it.

Good stuff!

E-mail your town hall and ask them when they will bring in recycling for plastics and a green bin. If they get enough enquiries, they may introduce them.

unless you buy the special stuff, you'll find that bubble wrap disintigrates fairly rapidly when exposed to sunlight as i found out to my cost in the past when i was insulating the greenhouse for winter.

securespark, if you really want to go for it get a compost bin and a green cone, great stuff!

In our area, they (we?) don't recycle all plastics, only some.

The ones they don't take are ABS (e.g. old computer front panels) and foam polystyrene.

Off-topic (but then we are anyway), it reminds me of the (true) story told me by a workmate a few years ago. One of his neighbours decided to fit a meter box in the outside wall of his house. When he removed a few bricks from the outside leaf of the wall, he discovered that the house had cavity-fill insulation in the form of polystyrene beads, he experienced a beadavlanche! His house was probably the last one on the estate to be filled before they started coating the puffed wheat with treacle. My workmate, Geoff, said 'they're not biodegradable, you know. Those beads were blowing up and down the village street for a couple of years.'

Sponsored Links
Back