screws and plugs size help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - im putting up aquapanel board in the shower, its the full 2.4m x900mmx 12.5mm boards, only need two...im going to attach battons of 38mm thickness to walls that are soft breeze blocks, i will tile directly onto the aquapanel boards with standard size ceramic tiles...what size screws and plugs should i use...i was thinking of these plugs and screws below..

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-h...w&cm_mmc=AffiliateWindow-_-DeepLink-_-Na-_-Na expensive but very effective in soft blocks

http://www.screwfix.com/p/quicksilver-countersunk-prodrive-10-x-4-pack-of-100/14275

whats the difference between this no 10 screw and the number 12 of the same length ?...is it the thickness of the screw or head size...?

Sponsored Links
both they are scaled up the numbers are the shank size no10=about 5mm metric 12= 6mm metric the head is proportionately bigger

both they are scaled up the numbers are the shank size no10=about 5mm metric 12= 6mm metric the head is proportionately bigger
,,,ok so a no 12 screw will be thicker....on the box of the fischer wall plugs it says use screw size of diameter 6-8 mm...so im assuming ill need any screw no 12 , 14, or 16 ?...

7mm masonry bit,brown plugging and No12 screws straight through the batton into the wal,l wack in a brown plug in to correct depth then screw tight job done

Sponsored Links
Cant see why some people bother with 'plugs' these days.
Starfix screws screw right into the masonry- no problemo.

Counter-sink them though .

Gotta keep up with the times peeps !!

Also dunno just why people use aquaboard anyway. Plasterboard is perfectly ok - just as long as you do a good job tiling the wall.

Why make a drama out of a crisis ?. Make the job easy for yourself . Cheaper too.

Also dunno just why people use aquaboard anyway. Plasterboard is perfectly ok - just as long as you do a good job tiling the wall.

Why make a drama out of a crisis ?. Make the job easy for yourself . Cheaper
too.
I must admit Iv'e had some good results with masonry screws ,especially in difficult situations ,such as hanging rads onto drylined walls no fuss no hacking off plasterboard job done

Doesn't work with all types of brick and block.

Very true comment.

BUT- can and does work- if the screw is put in very slowly and the person pressing the trigger KNOWS when to stop pressing it.
Touch and go though.

Very true comment.

BUT- can and does work- if the screw is put in very slowly and the person pressing the trigger KNOWS when to stop pressing it.
Touch and go though.

Never hold in some of the more crumbly ones no matter how slow you go.

They're great in good quality brick and modern concrete blocks, not so much in lightweight stuff or soft bricks. Plugs work alright in most anything, although some of the really lightweight blocks are hard to fix anything to.

Very true comment.

Touch and go though.

Never hold in some of the more crumbly ones no matter how slow you go.

They're great in good quality brick and modern concrete blocks, not so much in lightweight stuff or soft bricks. Plugs work alright in most anything, although some of the really lightweight blocks are hard to fix anything to.

use longer screws.
Quick fix is to pump some gripfill/or even better-epoxy resin into the holes after you have drilled them .

I understand what you are saying though.
Takes years of experience and mistakes- to figure out how to fix things securely and permantley.

Even BETTER-- is to squirt into the drilled hole some 'Metofast' (from Metolux).
That stuff adheres to ANYTHING.

I use it for cut and bonded bricks/blocks.

Most of the work I do is in older houses and these screws just dont put out! Plugs and screws for me.

Also tiling a plasterboard wall does not make it waterproof! far from it. Although your right I don't use aquapanel either, too expensive. Tub of tanking does me fine.

Most of the work I do is in older houses and these screws just dont put out! Plugs and screws for me.
dogma is danger I say! whatever works best on the day
Also tiling a plasterboard wall does not make it waterproof! far from it. Although your right I don't use aquapanel either, too expensive. Tub of tanking does me fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back