Scripts on Main Forum Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter how good Firefox may be, as a matter of principle, there's no way I'm going to change browser just because one website is screwing things up for me :) If they want my continued participation, they're going to have to address the issue!

Kind Regards, John

I was getting problems on lots of sites (Maplins, Facebook etc) so I switched to Google Chrome. It took a couple of days to get used to it but it was worth the change. Of course you can use either browser or both at the same time

Sponsored Links
This seems to be happening on a lot of forums. I have had a member say to me on my forum that IE is reporting "page could not load due to long running script" type errors.

I would assume MS has released a dodgy update.

I tend to stick with Chrome.

This seems to be happening on a lot of forums. I have had a member say to me on my forum that IE is reporting "page could not load due to long running script" type errors.

I would assume MS has released a dodgy update.

I tend to stick with Chrome.
I do think due to adverts but sysops should use the worst browser like I do and weed out bad adverts and that's why I use IE 8 and no higher version. Would use IE 6 if I could. But the problem is IE does not upgrade as often as Firefox so where there is a problem Firefox team seem to identify what it is and modify browser to get around the problem.

Does not always work with the now locked DIYfixit forum at one time I could only use IE it would not allow log in with Firefox. But I am also into Photography and Firefox has the best colour rendering of all the browsers so that's why I use Firefox.

I did make some errors with my own website with Java Script and Firefox ignored the errors where IE picked them up and even said what line the error was in. I had made an error writing the script it was not IE at fault but Firefox ignored the error and worked anyway.

The problem is that XP cannot use IE 9 and web designers no longer develop their sites for compatibility with IE8.

Sponsored Links
Well yes, but many sites have had no tweaking recently, and yet there is still errors with IE and scripts on forums.

Useful to whom?
The implication of my question was obviously be that some scripts may well be useful to the user. I've certainly produced websites which rely on scripts for proper functionality. How many sites are reliant on scripts, I haven't got a clue - hence my question.

Kind Regards, John

This seems to be happening on a lot of forums. I have had a member say to me on my forum that IE is reporting "page could not load due to long running script" type errors. I would assume MS has released a dodgy update.
You mean an update to IE? For a start, mine hasn't been updated in the last couple of days to account for this recent change in behavioue. In any event, on the face of it, it's surely pretty unlikely that such a change would make scripts suddenly run much more slowly. Is it not far more likely that a script (probably related to an advert) has changed?

Kind Regards, John

The second says:-
Stop running this script?
A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.
If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive.
With options Yes or No.
The only difference I can see between the two browsers is the adverts so it would seem one of the adverts has some sloppy script.
Indeed, that's the message - and as I explained yesterday, one can make that message appear more quickly if one wants. As you say, I can but presume that some advert introduced this problemeatical script a couple of days ago, when the problem started (at least, for me).
...I would agree need to find out which of the adverts is causing the problem and remove that advert.
Exactly. I'm sure that many forum members use IE, and I'm clearly not the only one to experience these recent problems. If the forum management want to avoid losing members, then they need to address this.

Kind Regards, John

This site takes on average of five to ten minutes to load as from this week, it used to load in a few seconds. No I have not changed any hardware or software this year.

This site takes on average of five to ten minutes to load as from this week, it used to load in a few seconds. No I have not changed any hardware or software this year.
That it was many of us seem to have been experiencing for the past couple of days or so. If you're using IE, you can speed up the process in the manner I described on the first page - you'll then get a pop up within 5-15 seconds which enables you to terminate the script, after which the page loads 'immediately' (within a second or two).

However, that's just a (tedious) workaround. The forum really needs to do something about whatever (presumably an advert) is causing it.

Kind Regards, John

Similar to what I was going to say. (Edit - referring to ELF)

I get instant loading, and use Firefox and AdBlock Plus.

Also - you don't know if the ad is a fixed part of the site, or inserted by google or someone. The site owners may have little control over it.

Just to say that I have had no problems on Chrome. All ads. blocked, by the way.
I guess that makes sense. Since the problem almost certainly (IMO) relates to an advert, if you 'block' adverts, you should not experience the problem (regardless of what browser you are using - provided that you can block adverts).

Howver, there is an aspect of all this which people seem to be overlooking. I imagine that the adverts annoy virtually all of us, bith because they exist and because they can (even without the recent 'acute' problem) impact on computer performance. However, if advertisers were to become aware of the fact that advice being given here was being taken, and that a large proportion of visitors to the site were managing to avoid being exposed to adverts, then we would lose the forum. We all tend to take 'free' resources on the Internet for granted, but the fact is that they exist only because of the advertising revenue they generate. In a more 'pure' world, maybe that (hence the adverts) would not exist, but how many people do you think would prepared to pay a subscription to participate in a forum such as this? I fear that it's an evil that we really need to live with - but the option may cease to exist if too many people find ways of utilising the resources without being exposed to the adverts which pay for them!

Kind Regards, John

Ooooh, that's another kettle of worms.

Are you saying you intentionally put up with the 'annoying' adverts for fear of the forum disappearing?

Doesn't it actually work the other way round in that such websites are set up to attract participants and then advertising with a view of making a profit?

Presumably an advertiser would be unlikely to do so were they aware NO one was looking but can they tell?

I remember that in pre-Sky days when people complained about paying for the television licence it was stated that their contribution, by product prices including a proportion for advertising, to Independent Television actually cost them more than the BBC.

This seems to be happening on a lot of forums. I have had a member say to me on my forum that IE is reporting "page could not load due to long running script" type errors. I would assume MS has released a dodgy update.
You mean an update to IE? For a start, mine hasn't been updated in the last couple of days to account for this recent change in behavioue. In any event, on the face of it, it's surely pretty unlikely that such a change would make scripts suddenly run much more slowly. Is it not far more likely that a script (probably related to an advert) has changed?

Kind Regards, John

Not if it happens on many sites, some without any advertising, and only with IE.

A site I manage has the Facebook 'like' scripted link on the front page and nothing else scripty, and it shows this IE scripting error to users all of a sudden, when it has run fine for years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back