SDS drill adapters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are plenty of adapters enabling a conventional chuck to be fitted to an SDS drill. However, in some cases at least, there is a warning that you cannot use the drill in reverse, presumably because that would unscrew the chuck from the adapter.

Is that always the case, or is it possible to lock the chuck in someway to prevent that from happening.

Advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
It's quite simple really - the SDS adaptor has a right hand thread, so if you run the drill in reverse there will be a tendency for the chuck to unscrew itself. A simple cure might be a couple of drops of Loctite applied to the adaptor threads before tightening, depending on the required application

presumably because that would unscrew the chuck from the adapter.

No, that won't happen. If you look at the parts...

dt7030dt7002.jpg

The large thread is a right hand thread, which is then locked in place using the left hand thread pozi screw.

I think you might be getting confused with core drills maybe.

Do sds drills have reverse? Maybe it's stating the limitation of the drill rather than the adaptor.

Sponsored Links
Mine does.
So does mine - and it's a cordless. As to the adaptor, the last one I had (on a Ryobi SDS a few years back) most certainly didn't have a centre screw fitted. It just screwed onto the adaptor, although I never tried running it in reverse

I am very grateful for the contributions.

The problem is that a couple of 'adverts' say in terms that the adapter cannot be used in reverse, while the ones that must be ok, don't say they are ok!

I will get one that has the 'locking' screw.

In relation to JRB's note, I am a missionary from Lancashire in Yorkshire, and have been since 1968. I have had little success in converting the natives here. They remain largely wild and uncivilised!

In relation to JRB's note, I am a missionary from Lancashire in Yorkshire, and have been since 1968. I have had little success in converting the natives here. They remain largely wild and uncivilised!

I equate the level of civilisation of any society to the ability and success of their cricket team! :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back