SDS Drills - Chisel Any Good ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am starting a bathroom refit which will involve taking down the wall between the existing bathroom and toilet to knock into one.

I am initially wanting to drill / chisel out around the existing toilet waste pipe as it goes through the wall to the stack - see below:

Soil stack on other side:

Other jobs I have lined up include:

- Taking wall down between bathroom and toilet
- Removing tiles from bathroom wall
- Digging up approx 25ft crazy pave path to lay rainwater waste pipes

I was therefore considering investing in an SDS drill with chisel function to help make some of the above easier. I just wondered what it would be up to ?

Initially had been looking at something like this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7150829.htm

Which has a 2.7J impact force. Is this only really going to be enough for tile removal or will it peck/chisel out part of the concrete block in the wall surrounding my toilet waste pipe and would it be up to taking the wall out later ?

Any alternative suggestions welcome (budget around £100 - £150). I do appreciate that as they get bigger and have more impact power they will also be heavier and harder to use for the lighter jobs such as tile stripping.

I just dont want to invest in one if the chisel action is really a waste of time as this would be its main use initially.

I did borrow a mates hired breaker (think it was Hilti) for some driveway work a while ago - talk about fun - I had to put it away before I started demolishing things that didnt need demolishing !!!

Thanks

Emilian

Sponsored Links
I would recomend the bosch blue - £99 at screwfix at the mo:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-sds-drill-gbh2000-240v/87453
its not massively powerfull but more than good enough for most DIY and is very leight and easy to handle, perfect for stripping tiles and drilling holes in brick. Anything heavier duty and you're better off with a sledge or lump hammer chiselling wise.

For chiselling out around the soil pipe, I would get a long sds bit (around 25-25mm x 450mm) and drill a number of holes carefully around the pipe and then chisel our the rest carefully by hand

For taking the wall down it really depends what its made of. If its a Victorian internal brick wall, you can usually make a bit of a hole to start with a hammer and chisel and pull the rest down brick by brick with your hands and using hammer every now and again for stubborn ones.

For taking up pathways etc.. get a digging bar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back