Sealant around integrated gas hob melting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Our kitchen was fitted by a kitchen fitter. I've been cooking and using the oven for nearly 3 months now and in the past 2-3 weeks I've noticed the seal around the integrated hob to be melting and coming off sticky like a chewing gum or blue tack (but in white ofcourse). the oven is also integrated and is underneath the hob.

There is also a slight smell of something chemical when the oven is on for a while (like over half an hour).

Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't think there's anything to worry about here.....the sealant is really there just to prevent spills and other nasties from accessing the electrical bits underneath. As the hob settles, the sealant does tend to spread so go round the hob vertically with a knife, cutting through the sealant, and pull it away. Enough will remain where its needed!
As for the oven, many components can make a smell as they are bedding in, for example paints and anti corrosion products.
Worry ye not!
John :)

It's not sealant on show, should be mastic which is sticky, should not be any on show as it should be trimmed back. Maybe hob is loose.

It sounds as though either the wrong sealant has been used or that you are using some cooking ingredients or cleaning fluids that are breaking the sealant down.

Either way it seems that the sealant is not suitable.

Sponsored Links
'Sealant' was actually my term - presumably the OP is referring to the mastic strips that come with the appliance.

Thanks everyone for replying.

John, I saw your reply early morning and trimmed it. I took the 1st
photo before cutting it away.

The 2nd is after trimming, side view.. do you think this gap is ok or needs filling?

I use washing up liquid and anti bac spray to clean the worktops and detergent and stainless steel cleaner spray for the hob.

On the other side of the hob the trim is much neater and hardly noticeable. I don't know if the fitter didn't trim them equally or if it was from the heat ( the biggest fire ring which I mainly use to cook is on the problem side).

I've not noticed looseness.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!

View media item 65120 View media item 65121

On the second pic I'd really like to see that gap filled......even if any splash can't get right through it is a trap for the usual grot that collects around there. Maybe you could use some of the mastic that you've cut away to plug things?
The hob won't be loose....they are clamped down on the underside and often enough there isn't enough of those clamps to pull the top down evenly all the way round - assuming that they have all been tightened, of course! The trouble is, you cant see without removing the lower oven and limbo dancing into the space :p

When the hob is clamped in place the pressure it exerts should cut through any exposed mastic and be cleaned off.Yours looks badly fitted, hole for hob may have been under-size leading to poor fit.Or oversize causing a loose fit for clamps.

Thank you guys for getting back to me quickly.
Unfortunately, I've binned the mastic stuff! I guess I pick some up somewhere?

Will filling that little gap be enough or do I need to do more to it , like lift the hop top to check clamping etc? Is it dangerous if its a poor fit?

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back