Sealing draughty double glazing/windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought this might help someone else in the future...hopefully not teaching my grandma to suck eggs ;)
Posted on here a while back - I have good quality but badly fitted warped double glazing...DG repair men say so bad they can't help me..I would suggest before resorting to this you make sure it isn't a simple hinge adjustment/ dropped window missing catch/perished gaskets/gaps around the frame hidden by architrave.

Tried a number of things but in the end decided to silicone the windows shut intending to cut the seal with a razor blade in summer...did this on some of the windows - stopped the draughts but one I have cut I didn't to a very neat job...
Posting about which silicone to use - someone suggested taping plastic sheeting (eg old carrier bags) to one surface before siliconing... :idea: sealant won't stick to the plastic...remove the bags when seal is dry - this worked well but I did struggled to get the plastic to lie flat...

Then I discovered a reference (sorry can't acknowledge it...lost the link) to this (apparently English Heritage do it) Silicone won't stick to vaseline - so smear one surface in vaseline before sealing...and then remove the vaseline - clearing up was messy - but again this has worked..

So as a last resort/stop gap I would recommend the silicone apporach - either the bags or vaseline - which ever works for you best...

and it seems it will work on other kinds of windows too.... :D ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back