Sealing gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum has asked me to silicone this gap due to mice getting in! Don't get this. I guess clear silicone though and corner cut off old credit card
20230928_084919.jpg

Sponsored Links
I do not see how a mouse can get through any of those gaps.

A mouse needs a hole no thinner than a pencil.

Rather than silicone, use an MS polymer such as CT1. You cannot paint properly over silicone.

I do not see how a mouse can get through any of those gaps.

A mouse needs a hole no thinner than a pencil.

Rather than silicone, use an MS polymer such as CT1. You cannot paint properly over silicone.
What colour would you go for?

Last edited:
What colour would you go for?

That is a tough call. You can go for clear clear but you will still see the gaps. You could however paint the clear MS polymer, in your case using a decent quality tape, Note, you will need to use waterbased first.

I have made the mistake of using oil based paints over MS polymers that had been applied a year previously. Many days later the oil based paint was still sticky.

Sponsored Links
That is a tough call. You can go for clear clear but you will still see the gaps. You could however paint the clear MS polymer, in your case using a decent quality tape, Note, you will need to use waterbased first.

I have made the mistake of using oil based paints over MS polymers that had been applied a year previously. Many days later the oil based paint was still sticky.
I used clear but should of used white, got told off. As it's a big gap I used 12mm on this silicone applicator device (got a kit), what determines the width u use e.g on a bath? I cut nozel on gun to 12mm too
20231001_110745.jpg
20231001_112622.jpg

I used clear but should of used white, got told off. As it's a big gap I used 12mm on this silicone applicator device (got a kit), what determines the width u use e.g on a bath? I cut nozel on gun to 12mm tooView attachment 315719View attachment 315721

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

The radius that you use on the profiling tool should be slightly larger than the gap being filled. Be advised that such profiling tools are not as perfect as the makers would have you believe. Ideally, the initial application should be pretty spot on and the tool will improve it. If you start off by applying too much, it often runs under the tool (leaving a very fine film).

In the panel image, whether you use silicone or MS polymer, any that strays on to the wood would make the wood darker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back