sealing polished porcelain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've just got a tiler in to tile the ground floor of the house where I'm working with 600X600 10mm polished porcelain. The job looks fantastic, but the customer is adamant that the tiles need sealing. The tiler disagrees and says that the tiles are not porous and just need mopping.

Who is right and where (if I need any) can I get the relevent sealer?

Cheers

brian

Sponsored Links
believe the tiler, but if you want to keep the customer happy seal them.

go for the lithofin range, all good tile stores (and some bad ones) have them

I was about to post a similar question - just bought 600mm porcelain tiles from B&Q that says on a sign in the shop they need sealed before and after grouting.

It seemed to me that its a "cover their own backs" sign, as all the info I can find on porcelain says they are a good choice for bathrooms etc, because they are not porous.

Is it likely that this is a smokescreen and they dont need sealed at all.

I wouldn't worry except for a problem I had recently with granite floor tiles, though they are definately porous

Sponsored Links
I was about to post a similar question - just bought 600mm porcelain tiles from B&Q that says on a sign in the shop they need sealed before and after grouting.

It seemed to me that its a "cover their own backs" sign, as all the info I can find on porcelain says they are a good choice for bathrooms etc, because they are not porous.

Is it likely that this is a smokescreen and they dont need sealed at all.

I wouldn't worry except for a problem I had recently with granite floor tiles, though they are definately porous

same answer as above chap

i seal all polished porcelain with lithofin gear. make sure you seal b+q porcelain or you will have problems with staining.

Customer wins

Porcelain is porous and needs sealing. Aquamix products by far and away the best on the market.

Come on tiler jase, you should know better than that. Porcelain tiles vary in quality. Proper porcelain tiles are not porous - which is why, if tiling outdoors, you should select porcelain tiles. They won't absorb moisture and crack when it's cold. The lack of porosity is also why you need to use an adhesive specified for porcelain.
Like everything now though, you can get cheap products that do not perform as well as the good stuff. These cheaper "porcelain" tiles may be a little porous which would explain why they stain.
If you want to test the tiles before you buy; get a sample tile and leave a wet tea bag on it over night, then see how easy it is to shift the stain in the morning. ;)

Good point Gcol

I believe they make a superior polished porcelain tile now that is not absorbant, nor porous but you are paying silly money to buy them. The porcelain tile available to the general masses is still porous and is suseptible to the usual contaminents / staining. Popular porcelain tile misconception alas.

I have just had some porcelain tiles laid on a bathroom floor. They aren't polished, though, they have a surface similar to that of slate. They don't stain, but every time they get wet, there are watermarks left behind, once they dry. The marks come off when scrubbed, but it's still a pain to have to clean the tiles every time they get wet to keep them nice.

Is this because of residue left from grouting?

If I seal them will this help and bring back the bright finish we lost when grouting them?

I have just had some porcelain tiles laid on a bathroom floor. They aren't polished, though, they have a surface similar to that of slate. They don't stain, but every time they get wet, there are watermarks left behind, once they dry. The marks come off when scrubbed, but it's still a pain to have to clean the tiles every time they get wet to keep them nice.

Is this because of residue left from grouting?

If I seal them will this help and bring back the bright finish we lost when grouting them?

no

any self respecting porcelain tile will be fully vitrified.
completely non-porous, polished or not.

look at the box - it should tell you. (it is pretty obvious - even in Italian!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back