Second door bell connection

I dont see why not.
The guts in the one you have are just like a FRIEDLAND ding dong, they work off 4 x 1.5 volt bateries so as low as 6 volt.
if you hold the bell button in it just goes DING then silent, so callers let go off the button and it goes DONG so its rarely powered up for long anyway, so I cant see 10 volt harming it.
In addition there will be volt drop in the cable to the second bell, what distance is it to the second location

http://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Chimes/Fixedchimes/Pages/D117.aspx

Sponsored Links
See what others say, but I think its ok.
however if you started fitting actual chimes at the second location, then that fitted transformer may struggle.

EDIT
just noticed the BIG BEN one you refer to is another makers version of a friedland ding dong, so im sure there ok too
though cheaper on ebay

Last edited:
ok thanks, what i may do is borrow my dads chime and see if that works as a 2nd chime on mine. then i will know if i need a new transformer as well as a new chime.

Sponsored Links
I borrowed my friends chime (no mechanical ding dong) and that doesnt work so will try a ding dong like the one i have already.

Here are the pictures...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 226
You would need an electromechanical chime. That electronic one won't be compatible with very much without connecting it to a permanent supply from the transformer and then feeding the push terminals via the contacts of a relay operated from the other chime!

Matching chimes and a button is best, keep it simple! That and 2 different models working together will sound awful.

when you
I borrowed my friends chime (no mechanical ding dong) and that doesnt work so will try a ding dong like the one i have already.

at a guess, id say it not working, was possibly due to it being connected wrong, how did you connect :?:

connected the 2 terminals on my current door bell to the 2 right hand terminals. when i pressed, the current doorbell worked but not the new one.

That wouldnt work as freddie says above.
Your mates one needs permanent power to the left two terminals and its OWN bell push connected across the right two terminals, you could fool your mates bell by linking the two right terminals, so when the buttons pressed the first bell will DING once, the second bell will do whatever, till you release the button and then your ffirst bell will DONG once, not ideal really.

Ah ok, so bridge the right 2 terminals on the new and then connect the 1st 2 terminals to the original chime terminals?

yes, on the new one left 2 terminals, connect to the left 2 terminals on the old one, anyway round

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back