Secondary ciculating pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,i have built a granny site at the end of my garden some 28 metre or 90 ffeet away from the boiler & looking to feed the 14000 btu double convector raditor in it with my ideal standard c32 combi boiler .I have ran the flow & return pipes under the ground & well foam insulated 25mm thick all around.How do i go on about installing a secondary circulating pump to my system ?How do i wire it up? Can i use a Grundfos ordinary circulating pump 6 metre?

Sponsored Links
forget the pump - unlag the pipes and you`ve got a ground source heating system :mrgreen:

Don't need the pump. Fit a zone valve on flow to granny, fit a room stat in granny. You will need to fit another zone valve with house's stat on existing heating for your house to stop it coming up when granny's stat calling for heat.

Don't think 25mm insulated is thick enough.

Have you thought about Stand alone radiator with build-in boiler and pump? Perfect for granny....

Daniel.

When i mentioned 25 mm, thats 65mm all around including 15mm pipe m8.I was thinking of using a Grundfos or DAB circulating Grundfos UPS2 15-50/60 (130) A+ Eff. Domestic Heating Circulator 240V

Sponsored Links
Don't fit pump, the pump inside combi will do the work, fitting the pump may affect the performance of the boiler which already has the pump inside.
All you need is 2 zone valves, that's it.

Daniel.

Comparison with multiple circulator pumps

Multiple zones can be implemented using either multiple, individually controlled circulator pumps or a single pump and multiple zone valves. Each approach has advantages and disadvantages.
Multiple pump system

Advantages:

Lower total cost of ownership when zone valve failure and repair costs are taken into account.
More robust and reliable system.
Simple mechanical and control design ("SPST thermostats")
Redundancy: If one zone pump fails, the others can remain working
Far superior method of linking multiple heat sources. Such as gas and solid fuel in one system.

Disadvantages:

Higher initial installation cost. Circulator pumps cost more than zone valves
Higher power consumption. Operating circulators draw more power any time the zone is actively heating. Zone valves, by comparison, draw little power at any time and many designs only draw power while in transition from open to close or vice-versa.

Zone valve system

Advantages:

Lower initial installation cost.
Lower power consumption.
Ease of maintenance certain models.

Disadvantages:

Zone valves are inherently more unreliable and prone to a very high failure rate. Zone valves operated by electric timing motors aren't "fail safe" (failing to the "open" condition).
No inherent redundancy for the pump. A zone-valved system is dependent upon a single circulator pump. If it fails, the system becomes completely inoperable.
The system can be harder to design, requiring both "SPDT" thermostats or relays and the ability of the system to withstand the fault condition whereby all zone valves are closed simultaneously.
Zone valve system

Advantages:

Lower power consumption.

Disadvantages:

Zone valves are inherently more unreliable and prone to a very high failure rate. Zone valves operated by electric timing motors aren't "fail safe" (failing to the "open" condition).
No inherent redundancy for the pump. A zone-valved system is dependent upon a single circulator pump. If it fails, the system becomes completely inoperable.
The system can be harder to design, requiring both "SPDT" thermostats or relays and the ability of the system to withstand the fault condition whereby all zone valves are closed simultaneously.

Comparison with multiple circulator pumps

Multiple zones can be implemented using either multiple, individually controlled circulator pumps or a single pump and multiple zone valves. Each approach has advantages and disadvantages.
Multiple pump system

Advantages:

Lower total cost of ownership when zone valve failure and repair costs are taken into account.
More robust and reliable system.
Simple mechanical and control design ("SPST thermostats")
Redundancy: If one zone pump fails, the others can remain working
Far superior method of linking multiple heat sources. Such as gas and solid fuel in one system.

Disadvantages:

Higher initial installation cost. Circulator pumps cost more than zone valves
Higher power consumption. Operating circulators draw more power any time the zone is actively heating. Zone valves, by comparison, draw little power at any time and many designs only draw power while in transition from open to close or vice-versa.

Zone valve system

Advantages:

Lower power consumption.

Disadvantages:

Zone valve system

Advantages:

Lower power consumption.

Disadvantages:

We know, but it's not just a case of throwing a pump onto the system. If you've got your heart set on using pumps instead of zone valves, you would probably need to install an open bypass for the boiler with the granny site fed by 1 pump and the existing system controlled by another pump. So that's pump inside boiler, plus alterations to some pipework, plus 2 new pumps.

James.

Use a plate heat exchanger to run your granny flat, if you want to heat the flat independantly ie heat the flat on its own you would need a 2 port valve or check valves and a relay, its just easier with a two port valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back