Securing a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
about to fit my new bath in place as soon as my walls have been skimmed.
do i just square up to wall or have a slight recess into plaster?
how would a pro do this to ensure best seal around the 2 walls that contact the bath......wall will later be tiled.

Also the securing kit (no instructions) came with 4 hooked brackets these hook under the top edge of the bath at the wall, probably a foolish question but would it be 2 along the long edge and 2 along the short tap edge , and are these brackets then tiled over.

Thanx for any advise in advance

Sponsored Links
do i just square up to wall or have a slight recess into plaster?
Depends on the tile thickness and how straight the wall is...
You want your tiles to drop on top of the bath, so that water from the tiles will run into the bath and not, potentially, down the side.
Yes, the brackets are tiled over, and I would recess into the plaster if possible.

Baths usually ony have 2 brackets for the side, I guess the other 2 could be optional, but if you have them you may as well use them.

Yes to everything that's been said, but just to add the weight to the notching the wall method, always best to notch, push bath in hard, level it, fix with L brackets and screws through feet, Spray expanding foam into notch, go back 48 hours later and cut expanding foam square to wall top face, underside doesn't matter. Tile, silicone, sealer.

Completely fill the bath with cold water before applying the silicone, let the silicone cure, then drain the water. Ensures that the seals remains intact for a long time to come.

Sponsored Links
Drill 2 x 4" Screws straight through the bath wall. That gets a real good fix.Polish plumbers did this very thing around here! Betcha they were cheaper than the real thing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back