securing a new landing to two walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Im fitting a set of stairs with a half-turn with a landing. The problem I have is there is only two walls for me to secure the landing on, the wall the back of the landing and the wall to the left. The right is open.

Dose anyone now to to safely secure the landing to the two walls? Or if this is possible?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the stair flights are traditional timber:

If the first flight goes up adjacent to one wall it means the floating corner of the landing would in effect be hanging from the second flight. So you would need either a newel post to the underside of the floating corner or you would need a cantilever bracket to support it, ideally within the landing boards and soffit to conceal it.

If the outer string and side of landing could be "pinned" then you might not need cantilever support. This would need to be manufactured by the stair company as part of the second flight. So the outer string and landing side act as a beam from upper floor to wall

If your first flight is not against the wall it could be easier.

I wonder if a single cranked box section of steel to the outer string / landing might work?

Thanks.

luckily the first flight s not against the wall. Dose this mean that the first flight will provide adequate support to the floating corner and then the landing can be secured on the other to sides as normal?

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

luckily the first flight s not against the wall. Dose this mean that the first flight will provide adequate support to the floating corner and then the landing can be secured on the other to sides as normal?
Yes

What it means is that all the connections between the strings and landing are going to be in compression on that unsupported side of the landing.
Consequently if the base of the stair strings are properly anchored and the top of the strings pinned to the landing, the structure should be sound.

The next step is an getting an experienced carpenter to come up with joining them together. You also need to get the arrangement approved by the Building Control officer, so just check that he is happy with the proposal.

In the link below you will see a quarter space landing without support to a corner from below. Yours is a similar arrangement regards that unsupported corner of the landing. I will replace with a better example if I can find one!
http://stairs.interiordezine.com/stair-construction/parts-of-a-staircase/

http://www.ebstaircases.com.au/monterey.htm

http://www.designyourinteriors.com/staircase-parts/

I know this is an older post - but OP did you manage it?

I'm trying to do the same thing - only mine is a 1/4 turn in a corner against two walls - floating above a staircase!

I know this is an older post - but OP did you manage it?

I'm trying to do the same thing - only mine is a 1/4 turn in a corner against two walls - floating above a staircase!

How many treads do you have before the quarter-turn landing?, and is the landing at the top or the bottom?

I need 6 steps from landing 1 to landing 2, then a quarter turn (on step 7) then a further 10 steps up to the loft..

this gives us a 'very gentle' slope up to the loft at 38 (ish) degrees.

Landing 1 - is a 'Juliette balcony - which looks out over the stairs, landing 2 will be 'floating' above the stairs - in the stair well - with a wall to the left and in front..

Does that make sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back