Securing Fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a fence built before Christmas, it's closed board with concrete posts. The company I used, used wooden wedges to secure the rails in place and as predicted with drying out and high winds they have started falling out and some of the panels have dropped

Now before I get the company back to fix it (again), what is the best way to fix this ? I've attached a picture.

I personally would use 40mm x 40mm galvanised brackets, cut one leg of the bracket to 20mm and wedge it in then secure to the rail with screws. I would then also use a long screw on the top of the rail at an angle that bites into the concrete post to stop the drop

fence.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's the way they did it - 3 rails and fence boards. The gaps between posts would've meant custom size panels too

This might work as a quick fix

Drive tapered wedges upwards between concrete and timber and then the weight of the panel will press the wedge against the post

upload_2021-2-24_9-43-17.png

Sponsored Links
What needs to be done is on each rail end a piece of rail timber trimmed in thickness to tightly fill the gap. Needs to be long enough to be screwed into the rail without splitting. Alternatively Marine ply as the packing piece.

The company shouldn't had left it like that.

I thought about wedges,

Problem with wooden wedges is the wet dry cycle and wind - I knew this was going to happen. I was going to build the fence myself as I've done in the past but this was a lot of work so I trusted the work to a contractor

You should've seen their first attempt at the fence... I really don't want them back again as it'll end up being another wooden wedge jammed in. I'd much rather fix it myself, I don't need the stress

I've thought about using a 3d printer and making some special plastic wedges, but I'm way overthinking it

i would do similar to wgt 52 about 6" long screwed in the back along the rail not across it
at minimum with wedges you knock a pin in so they still function when loose :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back