security light wiring issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when i moved into my house 3-4 years back the outside security light (halogen with pir sensor) didn't come on and i just figured the bulb was blown. recently i found the inside switch for it (don't ask!), turned it on and it worked. however i think i know why the previous owner maybe left it turned off.

when it senses movement in dusk/night it duly comes on, stays on for x mins then goes off. so what's the problem you ask? 10 secs or so after it goes off it comes back on, then off x mins later, then on etc. it repeats this for a good 1/2 hour before it eventually stays off.

i know it's not something triggering it so what's wrong? the wiring? circuitry? the pir?

Sponsored Links
It would be difficult to say without seeing it in real life, but the first thing would be to check for loose connection at the switch, light fitting and any associated junctions and terminals.
Once you are sure they contacted correctly and the problems still occurs check that the lamp is making good contact within it's holder if okay, then it is very likely the PIR is knacked!

thanks all. it's not foliage or anything like that. i've had that in a previous house and there's nothing close by to trigger it in that way. plus it can stay off all evening then i go out and trigger it, then it starts its little light shot for the same duration before stopping.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back