Sediment causing electric shower issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve been confused as to why our electric shower sometimes won’t maintain a consistent temperature. Took it apart and there’s a considerable amount of white shell like particles (limescale?!) in both the filter and within the shower hose just before the shower head.

After removing the sediment the shower works flawlessly for a week, but then will become blocked again. If we run the sink in the same shower room we can consistently see sediment in the water too.

Our water is from a bore hole but we have two sediment filters, a UV system and another salt water filter system to prevent limescale, water throughout the rest of the house is fine, it just seems to be the shower and sink that are affected.

My only thought is that we have a limescale build up in the pipes running to the shower, but would appreciate any other ideas or options to potentially fix it?

Sponsored Links
By "salt water" do you mean a water softener? What type? When was it installed?

Do you know the mineral content of the water?

Yes, it’s an eSoft pro 20L, it was installed six months ago, but we had the issue prior to this too.

Not sure on mineral content, I’ll see if I can dig out our water report when I’m home later.

Fitting a water softener causes existing scale to flake off. Can you take a pic inside your WC cistern and your cold water tank? You may find the walls and floats getting cleaner and fragments lying on the bottom. Keep the pics so you can compare them in a few months time. It will eventually dissolve and wash away.

If you unscrew the nozzles from your bath tap you may find the same. The hot tap may be worst.

Sponsored Links
Have attached a screenshot of the report, checked the cistern, looked like loads of sediment in the bottom but seems to just be the colour of it (doesn’t move when scraping against it).

It sounds like what from you’ve said that it could just be a case of waiting for it to all clear up now we have the water softener running?

Attachments

• B8BB6970-4057-4C01-A837-5ED35A1D7A5B.jpeg
    B8BB6970-4057-4C01-A837-5ED35A1D7A5B.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 7546749E-F1D8-4768-A02C-DD9DDE77727B.jpeg
    7546749E-F1D8-4768-A02C-DD9DDE77727B.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 63
Cistern looks pretty clean as far as I can see. No flakes of scale on the bottom.

What's your kettle like?

We're in a hard water area, it's a pita.

1/4 turn taps last 5 years tops and kettle is covered in no time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back