seeking out the last 60W

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not strictly a DIY topic...

I've aquired one of those household energy monitors that hooks on to your live meter tail and gives you useage info.

I can get the unit to drop to around 60W by switching off everything I can find, but I can't get it any lower.

The only thing I have been unable to switch off is the burgler alarm, which is always on but never used. It doesn't have a switch though.

Any tips on finding the last 60W?

Cheers
Dan

Sponsored Links
Turn off each circuit in turn at the CU to find out which circuit(s) the remaining load is on. Note that most of those units are only accurate to +/- 10% between 240 and 750W, and below 240W are likely to be very inaccurate.

can do this on all circuits except the sockets, as the display unit is powered.

will report back.

Sponsored Links
remove the fuse for the alarm (where you would expect a switch)

If the battery is ok, it will be fine for a few minutes to see how low it drops.

Thought someone was trying to find 60W bulbs

can do this on all circuits except the sockets, as the display unit is powered.

will report back.

you can do this - plug unit into the downstairs ring then pop off the upstairs ring to see if you get the drop.
then move the unit to an already tested ring and plug in there, then drop the downstairs ring.

these things seem to be very innacurate at low consumprion levels.

eg, I have one installed in my caravan to monitor usage so we dont trip hook ups.

I turn on one 7W CFL and th monitor claims 40W :eek:
turn thre other on, I get 80W

put the fridge on with the lights (which is around 140W) and it only jumps to 150W so below 100W its pretty useless, so it wouldnt suprise me if it claimed 60W for your alarm.

these things seem to be very innacurate at low consumprion levels.

eg, I have one installed in my caravan to monitor usage so we dont trip hook ups.

I turn on one 7W CFL and th monitor claims 40W :eek:
turn thre other on, I get 80W

put the fridge on with the lights (which is around 140W) and it only jumps to 150W so below 100W its pretty useless, so it wouldnt suprise me if it claimed 60W for your alarm.

If you read the specs in the user manual, it should give the accuracy. The Owl certainly does and it gives no figure for currents < 1A. 10% for 1A-3A and 5% above 3A.

If it's the current/cable clamp type.

What happens when you remove it from the cable? What does it read

so when people turn everything off to find what an individual item consumes you get an extra 60w added

A better way would be to have a constant base load on the installation that puts the instrument in a range where it has it's best accuracy, then measure the difference made by connecting/disconnecting the individual item you wish to measure the power consumption of.

Or just use an instrument with a more appropriate (or adjustable) range and/or better accuracy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back