Self Build Using Timber Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post on here so please be gentle with me!

I am looking into doing a self build using a Timber Frame Kit from one of the many companies that supply these. I am looking at this purely as an investment, to build and then sell on at a profit (hopefully).

I am really looking for advice on all aspects relating to this. I have very limited building experience however I do have a lot of friends in different trades.

I have looked at the many different companies offering timber frame kits and it does seem that if you do your research there are some very good packages out there.

I would like to be as hands on as possible to both cut costs and to learn. This would mean helping out with such things as groundworks, plastering, decorating, tiling, bathroom/kitchen fitting and bringing in sub cons for skilled aspects such as electrics and plumbing.

I also know that finding the right plot is one of the hardest tasks.

I am really just looking for any advice you can give me. Any pitfalls, timber frame company reccomendations, general self build advice.

More importantly, how potentially profitable can this project be? I know this depends on build size, locations, quality, spec, etc.

I will keep this as short as possible, if you have any questions about what my plans are or what advice I'm looking for please just ask.

Sponsored Links
Do you want advice on the DIY aspects of building , or advice on the commercial viability and management of this project so that you maximise your personal profits?

Firstly I am looking for advice on the commercial viability of the project. I'd like to hear people's thoughts on how much profitability there is in this type of project.

Sponsored Links
How much of the mortgage market will lend on a timber frame? I don't know the answer, but that could significantly reduce your resale opportunities.

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back