Self employed then PAYE ? Help Required.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi fellas
Ok I have been self employed for a few years now, I worked for a contractor for a short time ( around 7 weeks) I used there company's van and they payed my wages into my bank weekly, it was only meant to be a short term thing, But it seems I have been payed on PAYE basis. I have am not sure how this has happened as I gave the my UTR number. Which leaves me thinking am I still self employed or do I need to register as self employed again? I never received a P45 but the company said they sent me one over a month ago? ... Any advice guys?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Did you ever change your employment status, if not you will be still SE, when it comes to the SA, there are questions/sections regarding other earnings, you will need to fill that section in.

You were paid wages, used company van so you would be PAYE. Doesn't matter if it was short term.

you have a UTR so you are still self employed. When you do your tax return all you have to do is fill in the bit about any PAYE you did and what tax was paid by the company.

you need to chase up the p45. For your records.

Last year the entire CIS scheme changed, meaning that a number of (main) contractors lost their CIS status and that the definition of self-employed became much, much more tightly scoped. In a few weeks time it will be getting even tighter as HMRC squeeze-out certain sections (mainly the lower-paid labourers). In view of the changes made last April your former employers probably took the view that, with you driving around in their van, they could not reasonably claim that you were self employed. Hence the PAYE. You should have received weekly payslips together with a P45 when you left their employment

Sponsored Links
Don't forget you can be SE and PAYE at the same time, but not in the same employment.

Also it is not necessarily the operative OR the "employer" that decides your status

Back