Self employed vs PAYE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I personally and hoping to change from self employed to PAYE, got a job offer, need the money in the bank every week, and whats the point of the flexability if your always chasing money or quotes.
Just wondered what everyone else reckons to it ????

Sponsored Links
Depends on how you cope with being told what to do, perhaps doing things you dont agree with or using methods you arnt happy about really mate, thats what I like about being self employed!

but dpending on the deal you are offered?

paid holidays
sick pay
start/finish at set times(unless shift work)

ppe/tools equipment supplied
pension scheme
life cover

MORE TAX AND INSURANCE. :cry:

Sponsored Links
How many self employed people who wont work "for the man" are actually free to do what they want?
Everyone is feeling the squeeze and how many of the self employed amongst us take 6 weeks holidays and 9 public holidays a year.

I work for someone and work hard but have no problem going home at night and relaxing without thinking about work at night. i am lucky as i enjoy what i do but have never wished to try self employed route, it isnt down to lack of ambition, effort or commitment i simply dont fancy it, my wife is a self employed childminder and spends a lot of time "working" on this and that in her free time, i do all her invoicing and other bits and pieces, cause i want to not because i have to,

too many self employed do an extra 10-?? hours a week unpaid doing everything that goes with working for themselves, yes they want to be self employed but i have never been convinced about how free they are,

i have had many cancel this or that arranged social thing as they "had to work"

but how many self employed people who wont work "for the man" are actually free to do what they want?

Absolutely right, Kirk. Being self emplyed means you have a few more different bosses every day or week!

And, generally, if your PAYE, you are pretty confident that you are going to get paid.

Some valid points cropping up, i have been SE for 11 years, and my mate who is a chippie has only ever been PAYE, it has been interesting over the years to see the pros and cons to both. he does seem to have come out of it slightly better off fiancially, but with less experience in business, jobs and people,

But i am getting a bit older, good at my job but not good at keeping my paperwork in order and upto date,
I want to think about having kids soon and paying my mortgage every month, rather than hoping cheques will come in and clear before unpaid letters come in.
I enjoy the flexability of SE but i either have the time and no money to enjoy it or some money but no time!
I am a grafter and genuinely believe i will be an asset to a firm, and, in return i hope to be suitably looked after.
I can still do weekend jobs and i can always always go back to SE, an oppotunity is arising at the moment and i think i would be stupid not to take it.

does this make sense?

sorry to go on, just a big change i spose. :rolleyes:

I enjoy the flexability of SE but i either have the time and no money to enjoy it or some money but no time!

My sentiments exactly, although I dunno if I could work for "the man" my own aunt sacked my once from an ice cream shop!!

Being your own boss equates to one thing: the more you put in the more you will get out.

The problem with some people and being self employed is they become lazy.

I want to think about having kids soon and paying my mortgage every month, sorry to go on, just a big change i spose. :rolleyes:
Go on the cards for the kids - I did , You`ll never get those first 7 or so years back . It`s different being a Grandparent - And in a decade , who knows what the building industry will be like - might be a return of the 80`s and great to resume S/E.

I want to think about having kids soon and paying my mortgage every month, sorry to go on, just a big change i spose. :rolleyes:
Go on the cards for the kids - I did , You`ll never get those first 7 or so years back . It`s different being a Grandparent - And in a decade , who knows what the building industry will be like - might be a return of the 80`s and great to resume S/E.

I agree. If I could go back a few decades,I would have stopped on the books. I spent far too much time working when my kids were nippers

Hi, I thought i would give you an update. I got an offer of 27k plus a van!
pretty decent i thought? looking forward to the stability, selling my van and NO INVOICING!![/code]

[quote="spreadandlay";p="2046990"]Hi, I thought i would give you an update. I got an offer of 27k plus a van!
pretty decent i thought? looking forward to the stability, selling my van and NO INVOICING!![/code][/quote]

£103.83 EVERY day , INCLUDING bank hols, annual leave, and, maybe sick days. No expenses.

Rather better than the £120 (only when you work, pay your own expenses and overheads) per day that was being discussed last week.

Seriously, good Luck, I hope it GOEs well.

I am told that you can't beat PAYE in the week ... and then cash in hand evenings and weekends

Sponsored Links
Back