Self-install split air conditioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - first post here (gulp!)

Contemplating attempting an installation of a split air conditioner but never attempted anything like this before.

Not a huge DIY expert but can do most things if the instructions are clear enough - it's when they aren't and you have to improvise that I struggle.

To this end, how difficult are these things to install? As an example, I was looking at this item on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260432899815

It's billed as self-install with easy "quick fit" connectors but has anyone here fitted such a unit and can offer advice or experiences?

Many thanks,
Toby.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
yeah mine is like that, it has a very big quicklock type connector on it.

We were only discussing them yesterday:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=183946

Steve has one too. I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

They are really easy to fit, if a bit bulky and heavy, the only potential problem is drilling the 4inch hole through the wall to pass the connector through. (and filling the gaps)

Mine is going strong after 4 years, got mine from B&Q

Sponsored Links
You can hire a core drill from a tool hire shop, they might charge by the hour if you ask nicely.

Or just bang at it with a hammer and chisel. We were lucky, the way we did it was through a plastic windowsill and remove a brick in the outer wall below. It shoulds rough, but its in a conservatory so it looks ok, the pipework is inside some white electrical trunking so it blends in.

Beware the ones on Ebay - some of them require a vacuum pump before commisioning. The better ones (B&Q) come pre-vacuumed.

Of course, neither will ever be as good as a properly professionally installed unit.

One thing I found is that you need a big gap behind the outdoor unit, as the pipework isn't very flexible and does stick out a long way behind. And it WILL need fastening down to something solid (or a wall bracket)

Hi there, you didn't come back with info about the project. I tried installing an air con unit about a year ago but ended calling an air conditioning company to not only finish the jox, but also to fix the problems I caused :) - if searching for some nice folks to handle your air conditioning projects, check this out http://forum.upi.edu/v3/index.php?action=profile;u=49248

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back