Split air conditioning unit diy installation - what do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

It looks like I may finally have won my wife over for the go-ahead to install a split air conditioning unit in our bedroom. We've had the discussions every year but in recent years the most humid period has always come towards the end of the summer. This year, it's hitting us early so my wife is keen.

One of the reasons I've managed to sell my wife on a split air-conditioner is that if I install it myself, we could take it with us when we move house (thinking of moving in a year or two).

I've been looking into air conditioning units and it looks like the '2 click' ones that were more suited towards DIY installation are all discontinued. It looks like most units come pre-flared and so should be relatively straight forward for a diy-er to install with the necessary tools.

The question is though, what exactly do I need? Is it just a vacuum pump like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Vacuu...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2c8926a4ab

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACTECMAX-...425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item484221d399

Anything else?

The unit I'm looking at installing is this one:

http://ecoairdirect.com/split-air-c...r-conditioning-12000btu-3-5-kw-eco1250sd.html

The company have quoted me £240 inc VAT for the first hour of commissioning which doesn't sound too bad but if I could do it myself, I could use that money to pay for the tools required, commission it at our next house and also, commission it on the same day I install it. I have an old Amcor stand alone unit that I could maybe regas too if I had the tools and know-how.

I'm a relatively competent diy-er. I've repaired boilers, installed kitchen plumbing and electrics, repaired computers and televisions etc and due to current work demands and working from home, I have the time.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If you read the details below the technical data in the link you provided, it states that "Under EU regulations the installation of all split air conditioning units containing F-gas (R410A or R407C) require installation or commissioning by an F-gas certified air conditioning engineer" so I guess that answers your question. If you don't know what you are doing, you can pose a danger to yourself and others. For example; it is possible to get severe frostbite, from mishandling refrigerant.

Yeah to keep the warranty, that is true. The older models with the 2 click that could be done without a vacuum pump were also the same though and several regulars on these forums installed those according to Google.

Don't places like B&Q sell DIY split ACs? So how does that work with regard to filling the refrigerant?

Sponsored Links
I'm not familiar with the particular unit you mention, but some splits are supplied pre-gassed. The refrigerant is only released once the pipes are connected. They are usually still installed by qualified engineers. I haven't seen any marketed as DIY for quite some time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back