Service + MOT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour got me thinking when he's having his Honda Jazz for a service + MOT, if you're having a service why have a MOT, a service is for safely reason isn't it? So they go over the car twice? If so, wouldn't it be fair for a smaller fee for the MOT?

Sponsored Links
I passed a garage the other day that offered a free MOT with every major service.

Service is generally for warranty purposes when considering a main dealer.

I do agree with you, a 'good' service should check all the relevant parts to be checked on an MOT, but is unlikely to do the emissions and brake efficiency <sp> tests. Even so i would expect a reduced price for an MOT or the service when done together.

Independants seem more willing to take this approach than main dealers, but then if you want the stamp in the book to maintain the warranty they really have you by the short and curlies.

Sponsored Links
If I had done a "major" service on any car, I think I'd have seen more than an MOT tester would have. Emissions are normally included in the list of items covered in a major but maybe not not brake efficiency which shouldn't really matter because after taking the wheels off and inspecting the pads/shoes etc, I'd expect to have a good idea of what the brakes are going to be like.
I think it's a rip off to charge the full MOT price after a major service because lets face it, they're not going to check the same things twice.

masona said:
My neighbour got me thinking when he's having his Honda Jazz for a service + MOT, if you're having a service why have a MOT, a service is for safely reason isn't it? So they go over the car twice? If so, wouldn't it be fair for a smaller fee for the MOT?
indeed it would ..but I think you`ll find H*n*a dealers know how to "maximise profits"...allegedly.....I feel our local one does.....and therefore I bought a Peugeot ;) service every 20k miles at a cost of £170 ;)

Me thinks Honda are taking the ****tilaroes there ......... But somone has to finance the keeping of showroom ship shape & the MD in tequila slammers ...... I recon your neighbour should be recieving Christmas cards from Uncle Soichiro :LOL:

MANDATE said:
MOT at Gordans Honda Bolton yesterday £40.
:rolleyes:
Thats all they are allowed to charge. Or is it £44. Either way, this is the governments way of regulating the pricing in this industry - fixing MOT prices low but leaving them to charge what the hell they like for everything else!

when my cars need an MOT and I can't take it myself then I let my independant do the service and MOT in one go to save the downtime on the vehicle.
They do not have the capability to do the MOT and therefore have to put it in the local MOT centre. It costs me the MOT charge (fixed by Gov.) and some time for the garage juniors to drop it off/collect it.
Anything that fails will then get reported to me and agreement to repair taken.

I can either take time off work and sort it myself or earn the money to pay someone. And this is the rub - a service takes 'man hours' and parts. An MOT takes 'man hours'. the garage doesn't do this for free as they need to make money.

We could reduce the overall cost by reducing the man-day rates for the mechanics but then they'd have to take days off work to get their own cars MOT'd and couldn't afford to pay someone to do it.

there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...... discuss :evil:

Could say lots here about people being dismayed when their car fails MOT after a full service.
Anyway, the 2 entirely separate things will likely be done by different people. (Don't need a qualified MOT tester to do a service).

The service will look at things not included in the test. The test will look at some things not included in a service. I.e. unlikely that a manufacturers service schedule will include checking for chips in the swept area of the windscreen!

Sponsored Links
Back