service valve and flexi pipe to chrome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a flexi pipe (15mm compresion) going to a chrome pipe for a shower , then a sevice valve not chrome going to the chrome pipe then shower , i am getting a leak from the flexi to the chrome . I have nipped it up as far as i can without striping the flats on the nut and i still get a small amount seeping out from the nut when under pressure , i am going to replace the set up could anyone recomend what i should go for ie do i need a special flexi if i am going to chrome . Thanks

Sponsored Links
the chrome could be indented slightly or you have over done the nut and crushed the olive.

is this a old install ?
as you say you are going to replace the set up.
have you any pics ?

Hi, it is a new set up , the chrome pipe was new but the flexi and service valve i had previously. I am going to replace because the service valve is to close to the bottom were the edge of the bath sits as i cannot get to the nuts to tighten which was my own doing , and i also have some spare chrome pipe . I thought that i would re do the job with the correct parts to match .

does sound like a good idea to re-do.

where is this flexi going to be under bath or in wall ?
why have you used chrome pipe is it going to be exposed pipework to the shower mixer ?

Sponsored Links
gives a better idea.
hummm.gif

is that the new bath or tiling thats now finished ?
as i can't quite see the bottom of the pipe where it drops behind the bath

The bath is finished , the tiling at the end is also finished and sealed ,the service pipe basicaly sits on the tiles , thats why i am going to replace it , i thought by putting it lower down it would not be unsightly . the leak is under the bath were on the nut you can just see the leak seeping out . ......any tips on were i should place the flexi /service valve would be apreciated .

i would place it under the bath out of sight
and i prefer these full bore valves over them ball o fix valves

18591.jpg

as for the flexi it should of been ok
all i can think is the chrome may have been marked or the olive damaged.

as chrome pipe is useally just as good as copper.

the reason i asked about the bottom is where it drops through the tiles
that water may get through and damage the floor under bath and you won't know.

Thanks for the posotive comments, all i can do with the pipe going through the tiles is try to seal it the best i can , going to replace and rethink set up.

I have replaced a couple of parts and after running the shower all is well with the conections , however i have now noticed that the tile section is not completely watertight as i am getting water coming down and dripping in the corner as if it is running towards me as the other corner is dry , if it was a car nearside is dry offside wet . . The hole with the pipe is fine . Would it be wise to take the tiles up and sit them proud of the bath with the offside slightly tilted as if to run back. I was thinking of putting to some clear perspex over the tiles to help. I have painted the wood under the tiles with varnish , could anyone please sugest what i could do . Thanks

the way you've done it has made it abit of an on going problem.
is it water from the shower head when the showers on thats causing it ?

No leaks or drips when shower is without someone in, as soon as it used the leak then apears down one corner , i am certain is is coming from the tile section.

Just bit the bullet and completely shower sprayed the tile section while looking underneath and thier is a drip and slight run of water running down towards the corner .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back