service valves on mixer showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you need to fit service valves on mixer showers. It's just the way they are usually piped up on new builds pipes dropping down in a stub wall to connect to the pipework under the floor there isn't really anywhere to put any. No exposed pipework

Sponsored Links
cool, many showers dont come with the retaining ring, its a pain when the customer turns up with one like this and you have not fitted checks, even worse when you get inspected by the local board and then a letter telling you of your failures :)

Sponsored Links
Only way I could poss get service valves on is to elbow back out below the bath and piece the shower in in there. Instead of piecing in under the floor. Bet there is alot of showers on new builds without service valves

As said, it's good practice but use full bore if ballofix valves.
If the supplies are mains pressure then it's not so bad not to have them as there is no tank to drain or isolate, but at a later date, all other services will be out of action, if you have to replace/service cartridges in mixer(s)

As said, it's good practice but use full bore if ballofix valves.
If the supplies are mains pressure then it's not so bad not to have them as there is no tank to drain or isolate, but at a later date, all other services will be out of action, if you have to replace/service cartridges in mixer(s)
What do you mean "if the supplies are mains pressure then it's not so bad not to have them as there is no tank to drain or isolate"?
It would be mains pressure. Only way I could possible get iso on is to eblow out off the wall the shower pipes run down and piece the pipes in under the bath panel of the bath which is the other side of the wall. Though iso valves being compression may not be great behind a bath panel?

Thanks just wondering if I've ever seen valves used on showers on new builds due to the way they are usually piped up under pipes running vertically down the wall then piecing in to the hot and cold pipework under the floor.

Thanks just wondering if I've ever seen valves used on showers on new builds due to the way they are usually piped up under pipes running vertically down the wall then piecing in to the hot and cold pipework under the floor.

What's your involvement in this project?

FWIW I wish there was valves on my shower, it was a PITA to clean the filters as I had to turn the whole house off and that meant clearing the cellar steps & going down into the dungeons. Coupled with the fact that the previous prat who fitted thepiping put each pipe right next to each other I cant get a valve on now.

First fixing on a new build

As a contracted plumber?
Can you not defer this decision to the project manager/owner, with your recommendations?

As a complete new build I would have expected this sort of thing to have been designed in, with either a service riser or cupboard nearby or radial distribution from a manifold in the utility space where boiler/unvented is housed!

If under the bath is the only space available, then you'll have to use it! Just inform tiler to silicone panel in rather than grout it - also no screws behind tiles to framing!
And... Make a note of their locations in the plumbing schedule and hang it in utility space!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back