servicing v breakdown contracting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im curious about something. theres guys in our firm who are subbies and only do servicing 22 quid a service 8-9 an avergae a day. however theres subbies who do breakdowns. im curious as to what are the possible advantages of doing subbie breakdowns( i cant see any) collecting parts, fitting parts that are not correct , wrong parts , time consuming drain downs, leaks etc. i cant see how it pays do to brakdown subbie work given all the hassles . why would any one choose this over servicing. unfortnately havent had chance to speak tomany subbies at the firm.seems a no brainer.. 22 quid a service. 8 day. i do 8 day easy at the mo in london

Sponsored Links
It's horses for courses really, some people prefer doing a particular thing. I personally prefer installing & can't stand servicing I think it's brain dead work at the best of times but that's just my opinion.

THE BREAKDOWN WORK IS NOT ECONOMIC TO DO

The companies are taking the Michael huge big big massive.

They are insulting arrogant ungrateful offensive unethical imoral unsuportive unfair and self defeating in their treatment of quality breakdown engineers.

It will be to their cost as they find themselves left with dross.

thats what i mean. ive met two chaps doing subbie servicing 22 quid 8-9 a day minus running their car , holidays and they still pocket 38 grand a year . only grief is cutting someone of coz of leak etc. its boring but who cares. good money with litle grief. the chaps who do breakdown dont get paid for turning up and fault finding unless they get boiler up and rtunning there and then. the 16 quid goes to the guy who fits the part!!!!! i know its more intersting but it seems not to pay, grief from tenats saying your the fifth guy from counil to turn up, greif coz its wrong part etc. im getting a van soon and at least if i jack my job in i can go straight into subbie servicing. that seems to be the only way to make the books in this subbie industry . i currently get 40k a year in london just doing paye servcing and callout every 6th week but want to jack it in and go subbie in order not to do callout . would be interested in any other thoughts

Sponsored Links
If working as a subbie, service work is by far the better option as its easy money. Breakdown work will not be worth the hastle and the pay will work out less.

Yes yes yes yes yes.

You have no idea how insulting it is to be sat in cold grotty b and b in Aberdeen next to a brand new industry entrant who finished work two hours before you and earned twice as much.

The industry has done a massive disservice to the skilled people. We should all stand our ground and let it sink into their arogant skulls the mess of their making.

However OP you are a fool if you consider there isn't a downside to service work for councils, you get loads of NACL's. Hold onto your job.

My first day in Westminster for Francis the pda delivered me zero work. ab==eventually 4pm having sat waiting in Charring Cross Rd area all day I was phoned a number of jobs. NACL'd vertually all of them as they were all cold calls. It got a little better than that and was much better than the work I was doing before I became ill, but it was not a bed of roses. The key to it was a very determined hard nock and a very positive forward leaning stance at the door. Most Londoners socially housed don't speak your language and will not let you in, thats the hard facts.

i qualified at straight away i was on 34-36k . other guys with centuries experience getting the same or less when doing breakdowns!!! i was gobsacked to say the least. subbie service in london does seem the best option . oh ive just finished doing epc course for the homebuyers report. recommend it chaps. do epc and landlord check for 120 quid. works a treat if you advertise and spend a little dosh. plenty of dosh out there if look in right places and as paul says stay away from those firms that say 26 quid a breakdown etc etc ie reactfast, and those shisters

Yes yes yes yes yes.

You have no idea how insulting it is to be sat in cold grotty b and b in Aberdeen next to a brand new industry entrant who finished work two hours before you and earned twice as much.

The industry has done a massive disservice to the skilled people. We should all stand our ground and let it sink into their arogant skulls the mess of their making.

However OP you are a fool if you consider there isn't a downside to service work for councils, you get loads of NACL's. Hold onto your job.

My first day in Westminster for Francis the pda delivered me zero work. ab==eventually 4pm having sat waiting in Charring Cross Rd area all day I was phoned a number of jobs. NACL'd vertually all of them as they were all cold calls. It got a little better than that and was much better than the work I was doing before I became ill, but it was not a bed of roses. The key to it was a very determined hard nock and a very positive forward leaning stance at the door. Most Londoners socially housed don't speak your language and will not let you in, thats the hard facts.

I see BG have made you cynical Paul, I did tell you it would be a matter of time. ;)

No that's the sad anomaly I am an optimist. As you know I speak plain truth about the facts.

Worked for companies doing servicing, hated it. too much pressure no concern for gas safety (company that is) done installation work for companies too hard work for bad pay. Now work for myself and subby doing both but trying to move into breakdown work cos I`m gonna get too old for install at some point and want an easier life ( you chaps on the tools know what I mean).

paul you mentioned francis.is that rg francis? are they a good firm . heard good stuff about them as well as t brown

RG Francis are now owned by Eaga and are part of the Eaga Heating division.

Mike

They had only just been taken over when I started.

Great bunch of people really positive experience I had with the company.

Clients were a problem.

Compared to where I am now they were 500% more fair honest trustworthy 1000% better organised streamlined as an organisation 100,000% more efficient terminal system.

500,000% less wasteful of contractors valuable time through organisational incompetence.

Really really affirm the company.

I simply prefer not to live in London all week. My wife needs help with the kids the poor woman has work of her own is suffering from a debilitating ultimately terminal disease and finds life alone a strugle without having to bring up two school aged kids unsuported.

And no we don't fancy moving back to London.

Anyone who has a problem with RG Francis personal dealings and suportiveness of service contractors has not been around much.

Actually new year might give them a ring :idea:

I simply prefer not to live in London all week. My wife needs help with the kids the poor woman has work of her own is suffering from a debilitating ultimately terminal disease and finds life alone a strugle without having to bring up two school aged kids unsuported.

Probably sounds Boll*ox but God bless you and yours. x

Thanks mate I don't say these things to engender pitty I just speak facts. It is only because it impacts upon my work away decision weights my thought processes that it is essential to mension it here because to understand my reasoning a little background is significant.

But I'm not heartless. The emotional side is not significant here and I don't wish it to be considered.

To work away you have to have the right background.

Conversely if someone like me works away you have to realise how bad things are in the industry at home.

Any computer geek thinking plumbers are rolling in it read with caution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back