Servis washing machine - hot fill only!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had our kitchen refitted but kept original Servis w/m as it was only 1 year old. The problem is that now it's been put in its new position after being moved out of the kitchen for a week it will only fill and rinse with hot water. Previously, if it was washing on a cool/delicate programme it would only take in cold water and it always rinsed on cold water - whatever the programme. Now when I open the door after it's finished rinsing there is steam coming out.

The kitchen people have been out and checked everything is connected ok - which it is and think the fault lies with the machine, perhaps because it was moved?

Any advice would be appreciated please (the hot water is supplied by a combi boiler Worcester 24CDi).

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
might be a stupid question are you shure the hoses are
[a] conected to seperate pipes[not both on the hot]
connected to the correct pipe hot to hot cold to cold

big all

Yep, all hoses correctly connected - called kitchen fitters today re. problem and they came out and checked (not bad for a Saturday!). Could it be 'cause the machine has been moved about that something has become dislodged?

may be the cold fill valve, but i doubt it since you origonally said at the end of the wash the clothes come out hot.

This would imply the two fill hoses are the wrong way round or some one has swopped the wires in the m/c.

what happens if you swap the fill hoses over? (turn water off first)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Breezer. The kitchen people checked the fill hoses were corrected connected under the sink - we've had completely new plumbing in the kitchen - the sink has been moved along with the stopcock.

We've pulled out the machine and checked they were fitted correctly on the back - they are.

There is definitely no cold water going into the machine at all. The combi is just across the other side of the kitchen and everytime the machine takes in water to wash or rinse the combi comes on. This never happened before on rinsing and only on washing when it was a hot wash. It don't think anyone has swapped the wires in the m/c, we certainly haven't and I can't see why a kitchen fitter would want to?

When you say swap the fill hoses over, do you mean where they are joined to the machine or where they are joined to the taps under the sink - sorry to be so stupid. :rolleyes:

have you checked the cold pipe to see if it gets hot
on your rinse cycle[eg connected to hot rather than cold supply]

big all

swap hoses around at m/c end ONLY

while doing this you could put each in a bucket, turn tap on to make sure water flows, but i still favour hoses round wrong way

Ok thanks Breezer - will give this a go first thing tomorrow.

could it be a fault with the units logic board/brain? it may be thinking the part of the wash cycle needs hot water when in fact it's a cool rinse. try a wash cycle that only demands cold water (wool / super synthetics or something) or try & wash a load without the hot water supply connected (consult your manuals first!!) because a lot of washing m/c's have the ability of running on cold mains only & have a heating element built in. That way if your m/c is pulling in water then you know there's nothing wrong with the supply or connection.. but your machines brain. also i heard that if the hose or filter inside of hose is blocked the m/c will try & compensate by pulling in water from the other source?? is this true?

Rotara said:
.. but your machines brain. also i heard that if the hose or filter inside of hose is blocked the m/c will try & compensate by pulling in water from the other source?? is this true?

deffinently NOT

when a m/c fills a valve is opened and it will wait for as long as it takes before it will continue.

Most w/m do not have a "brain" but a "timer" that will stop until the next process is ready, idf something is wrong it does not know and depending on what is wrong, will either

a) sit there waiting for something to happen. i.e water to fill or heat to correct temp

b) carry on regardless i.e pump water all over the floor (because it doesnt know it is doing that) and if it did know it probably would care anyway

I should also point out that 99% of m/c have an inbuilt heater to get the temp up to say 95 degrees

Just to update, couldn't pull machine out 'cause hubby not here to help me today and being a bit of a weakling couldn't manage it on my own. Now a leak has now appeared from one of the new pipes under the sink so I've got to get the kitchen people back anyway.

Thanks Rotara, I've done a wool wash which I presume should be very cool, however, again the machine filled with hot water only. However, this time it filled really really slowly and when it was finished everything inside was very very hot. It's almost as if the cooler the wash is supposed to be the hotter it gets in reality - if you see what I mean. Also, I turned off red tap for hot water supply but the machine does nothing at all, just sort of hums in anticipation of water being received! Apparently when the machine was moved for the kitchen refit the hoses were not removed from the back so they should still be in the correct positions?

This is the second Servis machine I've had in less than 2 years - the first one leaked after 3 months and had to (eventually) be replaced.

I'm guessing now that I should probably call out an engineer after the leak under the sink has been repaired.

By the way, apart from the possibility that everything could shrink - is running the machine with only hot water causing it any damage, or could use like this damage our combi boiler? Sorry to be so thick, but I don't pretend to know anything about washing machines/plumbing etc. , etc.!

Thanks in anticipation of your help. :)

no your not being thick you are being clever you are learning by asking
i wont pretend to know if hot will do extra dammage but i dont think so
apart from waste your hot water and money
and maybe shrink a bit more

when you say it craves hot water more the cooler the cycle
i definatly think you should swap the hoses its trying to cool
with cold water and all its getting is hot
it says to me swop the hoses round hot for cold an visa versa
nothing to loose

big all

you dont realise it but you have given me the answer you said
I turned off red tap for hot water supply but the machine does nothing at all, just sort of hums in anticipation of water being received
the humming you heard is the cold fill valve operating, you are also right it IS waiting in "anticipation" there is nothing wrong with the m/c it is either the cold fill pipe is kinked when m/c put back or the cold fill tap is blocked/ not fitted properly.

Turn the cold fill off, take hose off m/c put it in a bucket and turn it on, as it is you will not get any cold water (you should) if you do its the hose being kinked (when you put m/c back), if you don't its the tap connection

have your kitchen fitters fitted the "clamp on" tap/hose connections? they often go wrong

it will not do m/c harm but it will not wash properly

Thanks for your advice guys - it's all been sorted now.

You were right Breezer, the problem was with the hose. The kitchen fitter came back today and sorted the leak under the sink and took another look at the m/c - works fine now.

Thanks a lot.
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back