Shared drain keeps blocking - cost of repair.

bot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sewage drains are shared with 2 other houses. I've been living at the property for 10 years and had no problems until last summer when one of the houses had a blocked drain, the sewage was running all over there drive. Any way to cut a long story short we have all had problems about once a month since then. One of the neighbours has suggested getting a cctv survey done two see if there is an underlying problem. I said it was a good idea and would share the cost.
My question is two fold
1) We have 6 foot high conifers between our properties, is it possible that the roots from them could split though the drains ( The houses are 20 years old so have plastic pipes)
2) If from a survey it did show a problem from the bushes, who would be responible for paying. I think they are my bushes but not sure as they were there when I moved in.

Sponsored Links
bot said:
one of the houses had a blocked drain
What was the cause of the blockage?

we have all had problems about once a month since then.
I see. I wonder what could possibly occur at monthly intervals that might cause a blockage in the drains. Hm. What could it possibly be...

Well , it could be cheap toilet paper, or wet wipes combined with the low volume of modern WC` water flushes :idea: . The wet wipe is a godsend when one has " Chalfonts"...and I caused my own drains to block with these :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Badly worded :confused:

The drains have blocked up a few times since last summer. I have been assured by the neighbours that no wet wipes or womens things! have been placed in the drains.

I have a set of rods and this has cleared it.

The question still remains about cost of repairs. Or do you reckon just keep rodding it.

Cheers

If you have a disc plunger to fit your rods then you can get a pretty good idea of whether there is any significant blockage by seeing what force you have to apply to get the disc to move.

A common problem is for roots to search out water by rooting into joints in the drain. They can be cut by power jetting or less so by rodding.

Anyone damaging a shared drain could be responsible for repairs.

If the trees are on YOUR land then they will be deemed to be yours regardless of who you thing own them!

Tony

Cheers Tony.

At least if i'm armed with all the facts i'll know what to except. I'll let you know the outcome.

Update to previous posts, Had a CCTV survey done and awaiting the full report, but the only slight problem that was brought up was a section of pipe has settled under my garden. It seems to be where I park my car. There was about 1/2 inch of water lying in the bottom and over time, about 10 years, limescale had built up in this section that wasn't moved by water movement alone. The drain people removed all this and said it would probably be ok for a few years before more trouble.

I'm wondering though, for peace of mind should I get it sorted. I do have drain insurance that covers up to £2000. Home insurance also says it covers drains.

Your thoughts would be good. Leave it and hope nothing happens for a few years or get it done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back