Shaver socket in Bathroom - won't stop buzzing! Please Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New to the forum so please be nice ;o)

I have a shaver socket in an ensuite bathroom that won't stop buzzing/humming (quite loudly) even without anything plugged into it.

Is this anything to worry about and should I get it replaced? Should I be slightly worried about the house burning down from an electrical fault?

If to get replaced is this something i can do myself or do I need an electrician to do this?

Many thanks!

Paul

Sponsored Links
Shaver sockets have an isolation transformer built into them. It'll be the core laminations that are buzzing. All transformers are prone to this (look up magnetostriction if you want to know why) but some are worse than others. It all depends on how well the laminations are fixed.

I would only worry about it if it's getting hot because that would indicate either a shorted turn or a breakdown of the insulation between the laminations. :!: :!: :!:

Hi,

Whilst were on this, is it normal for a good quality mk shaver transformer to have cracked on the face in the bottom left corner?

I keep an electric toothbrush plugged in, could heat build up have done this? I was thinking about returning this to MK.

Sorry if this means I have hijacked the post?

Are there any other signs of heat damage? Has it been mounted on a level surface?

Sponsored Links
Thanks spark 123, the surface is level, its mounted to a cavity type box which is sitting very sq in the plasterboard/tile. There is no sign of heat. Its only been installed approx 3 months tops.

You'd need to return it to the supplier, not MK, with the receipt for the purchase.

BAck to the OP.
Cheaper ones tend to buzz more than more expensive shaver sockets. It will sound worse if the socket is mounted
a) on plasterboard
b) in a void

both of which will act like a drum and amplify the sound.

You'd need to return it to the supplier, not MK, with the receipt for the purchase.

BAck to the OP.
Cheaper ones tend to buzz more than more expensive shaver sockets. It will sound worse if the socket is mounted
a) on plasterboard
b) in a void

both of which will act like a drum and amplify the sound.

Thanks. It is a new build house so both the above apply! It does appear to be getting warmer too! :eek:(

I will replace it I think, but will I need an electrician and if so what would be a reasonable price to pay for this?

Thanks

It'l porbably only be an hour plus parts. Your problem will be finding a spark who can be bothered to do this.
Its an easy job, just two screws to undo and a wire to swop.

Well within even an average DIYers capability. (turn the power of before doing this at home, folks).

message for both of you!
its not going to hurt to check the connections.

they may be loose,arcing kills people

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back