Shed Electrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use installation methods and as we swap methods so the current carrying of the cables change, we also have different cables so rated at 70°C others at 90°C and it is all down to the cables ability to get rid of that heat. So I would use 4mm² cables for the link from SWA into the consumer unit. However I have in the past taken the core of the SWA directly into the consumer unit. As to if enough room to also take the earth in that's another question.

The problem with plastic consumer units is fitting the SWA direct can warp the plastic stopping the lid from fitting. But with care cable clamps can hold the SWA firm enough to stop the warping, it is just personal preference. There is no right and wrong way as such.

There is only one person who can sign the installation certificate and that is the person doing the work. This is why the LABC do not issue installation certificates they only issue a completion certificate. The certificate can have three signatures one for design, one for installation and one for inspection and testing. However this is only on large jobs, a job the size you are doing would normally only have one signature.

Where some semi-skilled person has done the work with blessing of the LABC then often they will accept an electrical installation condition report instead. In the main electricians follow the guide lines issued by the Electrical Safety Council and will issue codes 1, 2, or 3 if the work does not comply with safety requirements, some items which do not comply with BS7671:2008 are not considered as dangerous so will not be coded. They may say something in the notes but without a code it is unlikely the LABC would not issue a completion certificate.

If you do a perfect job, by January it will still not comply with BS7671:2008 amendment 3 as by then you will require consumer units which will not burn. But for the installation certificate it's the date when the job was designed that counts not the date completed. So if I plan to fit a new consumer unit today I can still fit a plastic one next year.

So the question is as always who is signing certificates and what will they accept? We tend not to worry too much until something goes wrong. If something does go wrong then the HSE will go through paperwork completed 10 years ago looking for who made the mistake. In the main if you injure yourself they are not so worried but injure some one else and then it's a fine toothed comb to work out who is guilty. The problem is when you sell the property.

BAS is not wrong to point out some one needs to sign. But we all know DIY hardly anyone does. So without paperwork any errors come back to the owner. We all hope nothing goes wrong, however you would not believe how silly people can be, a friend was demoted because some one got a shock from a container which was being moved with a crane. One would expect people would remove the supply before slinging it from a crane, but he was criticised for not fixing the cable well enough it pulled out of the gland while it was being moved.

Since then I have always used cable cleats but few plan for such silly actions.

Sponsored Links
Electrician is coming at the end of the week to sign it off

If the legality of the certificate is ever tested in court you would probably lose. Expensive if it used in an insurance claim.

BAS does give good advice but his method of giving the advice could be improved.

<Moderators note>
A number of unhelpful posts have been removed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back