Shed / Garden Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am after some advice about the shed electrics in the house I moved into about a year ago.

I have the following:

A double socket on a post halfway down the garden. This is clearly built to be outside and is all in a waterproof type housing with a rubber sealing front flap on it.

A single socket in the greenhouse, same type of housing.

Then in the shed there is a double socket and a light.

All of this is supplied from the kitchen by a socket inside one of the cupboards which is a 10 Amp earth leakage circuit breaker type socket with a reset switch on it. So basically if I unplug this cable it isolates everything outside.

The cabling outside is in plastic conduit and fixed to the fence.

I am pretty sure that this does not all meet current regulations, but I want to know if I am obliged to get it up to current regulations? And if it is dangerous to use?

I rarely use the garden sockets, and never use the greenhouse one, indeed my gut feeling is to at least remove that one from the picture completely before doing anything else.

Regards

Johnny.

Sponsored Links
johnny,
If you dont use the sockets and light why not just strip it out, if you need power outside just use the rcd plug and an extention

It is not a good practice to fix the conduit to the fence unless it is brick one.

Sponsored Links
It's not ideal but you have RCD protection and the cable isn't in a place where it is liable to get dug though. so it shouldn't be any more dangerous to use than an extention lead.

My main concern would be potential damage from the wind. How soild is the fence in question and what is it's construction type?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back