Shed wiring

Don't really want to go around the houses but, with definitions being a little ambiguous. If we calculate VD from Main CU, why would we not calculate it from sub-main or beyond.
One does have to, but (as I've said) we've been ignoring the VD in the final circuits (probably relatively small). Although the regs do, I agree, lack clarity, I think everyone assumes the intention is that the maximum permissible VD relates to the total VD from 'origin' (cutout/meter) to the most distant load - i.e. VD in any distribution circuits plus VD in final circuits.
The likely reason the discussion has arisen so often(must have missed them), as it seems ambiguous and clarification is needed.
Do you seriously believe that there is any possibility that the intention of the regs is that you could have, say, 25% VD in a distribution circuit/submain and still be compliuant so long as the VD in the final circuits (beyond that distribution/submain) was within the prescribed limits? Surely not!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
[
Fair enough - but when you're designing a supply to a fairly distant outbuilding, do you ignore the VD in the cable from house to a CU in the outbuilding?
Fortunately enough all outbuildings I have designed the installation for, have been very close to the dwellings CU. So never been an issue and just as well as it seems I would have been making some major cock-ups.
Now wiser to the facts!

Sponsored Links
Fair enough - but when you're designing a supply to a fairly distant outbuilding, do you ignore the VD in the cable from house to a CU in the outbuilding?
Fortunately enough all outbuildings I have designed the installation for, have been very close to the dwellings CU. So never been an issue and just as well as it seems I would have been making some major cock-ups. Now wiser to the facts!
Fair enough. We're all learning, all the time!

Kind Regards, John

Blimey - that's quite a reaction! Have I found the customer relations department?
I didn't know the cable size to use - that's why I asked.
And I gave you links to information which would tell you how to work it out.

I do have a desire to learn - that's why I asked.
Really?

So why, having been pointed at learning material, did you just come back and ask the same question again rather than go off and learn how to do it?

Thankfully John has been very helpful and pointed me in the right direction.
What John has dome is to spoon feed you, to take responsibility for something you are actually legally responsible for, and to encourage you to carry on doing electrical work when he KNOWS that you don't truly understand what you are doing.

To you he is very helpful.

To me he is misguided and irresponsible and does not have your best interests at heart.

I worked with a chap like Mr Sheds some time ago. Over the years he went to see many experts to find a cure to his many problems, went on lots of experimental drug trials and even had hypnotherapy.
In the end he was diagnosed with being a massive wa**er. No cure I'm afraid.

Oh look - another loser who gets abusive when he doesn't get the advice he'd decided he should get before coming here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back