Shooting burglars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The government has said it is now legal to shoot anyone who breaks into your home, however it is still illegal to possess a shotgun for that purpose. So whats the point of it. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Linky, linky ?.
You don't let them know you want the shotgun to shoot a burgular when you apply for the license.
Just tell them its for vermin. ;)

If I shoot a black burglar, am I a die-hard racist?

If I shot a beautiful female burglar, would she be drop-dead gorgeous?

And if I couldn't control my 'urges', would society consider me to be dead boring?

Sponsored Links
The government has said it is now legal to shoot anyone who breaks into your home, however it is still illegal to possess a shotgun for that purpose. So whats the point of it. :confused:

First off how do you know the perpetrator is just looking to be a burglar?

Normally if someone enters the home knowing there maybe occupants there this is the most dangerous type of criminal.

Most crooks if they are career criminals do not want any type of confrontation most will hit a home during the day after they more of less know the schedule of the people living there.

Also most legal gun owners who were properly trained will not shoot unless

1- Their life is in in danger

2- The life of another person is in danger

The armed citizen has a responsibility as most will use the firearm as a deterrent rather then taking a life.

The National Rifle Association puts out monthly articles about how many older citizen (80 year olds etc) use their WW2 firearms to defend themselves and then only when all else fails

When I was an Auxiliary police Sargent we learned what is permissible for the use of deadly force and burglaries is not one of them.

As a matter of fact most burglars will not have any type of weapon on their person as they know it will add more years to their arrest so they will surrender rather then taking a chance of being blown away.

The right thing to do is as follows

If your in your home and you hear someone breaking in, go to the bed room with your firearm get behind the bed or some other furniture and dial the police DO NOT EVER,EVER shoot at the door unless you actually know for sure what your intended target is.

If the intruder continues to advance and the police are not there warn the criminal your armed then if they pose a real threat to you or your loved ones then by all means then send them to their maker

Unlike "softintheheads" mindset most legal gun owners know the responsibility of owning a firearm just like a decent human being knows a car can be a weapon if a drunk is behind the wheel.

Even though you may have the right to defend your castle if you can stop the criminal act without firing a shot that is the way to go.

Most gun owners do stop the crime without having to resort to lethal force.

If you have to use the firearm then aim to kill as any wounded animal is a lot more dangerous and wounding them may end up having them disarm you and killing you with your own weapon.

Linky, linky ?.
You don't let them know you want the shotgun to shoot a burgular when you apply for the license.
Just tell them its for vermin. ;)

Or target or skeet shooting or your going on a Fox hunt Tally hoooooooo

A burglar will look like this:

Keith%20burglar%20with%20Mike.JPG

Normally if someone enters the home knowing there maybe occupants there this is the most dangerous type of criminal.
Utterly wrong.

Most crooks if they are career criminals do not want any type of confrontation most will hit a home during the day
Utterly wrong.

The armed citizen has a responsibility as most will use the firearm as a deterrent rather then taking a life.
Not in this country.

The Gun Nut Club puts out monthly articles about how many older citizen (80 year olds etc) use their WW2 firearms to defend themselves and then only when all else fails
Irrelevant in the UK.

When I was an Auxiliary police Sargent we learned what is permissible for the use of deadly force and burglaries is not one of them.
Irrelevant in the UK.

As a matter of fact most burglars will not have any type of weapon on their person as they know it will add more years to their arrest so they will surrender rather then taking a chance of being blown away.
Irrelevant in the UK.

Most gun owners do stop the crime without having to resort to lethal force.
Irrelevant in the UK.

If you have to use the firearm then aim to kill as any wounded animal is a lot more dangerous and wounding them may end up having them disarm you and killing you with your own weapon.
Irrelevant in the UK.

if there was burglar in your house and you were not called sylvan tieger how likely is it.....

1. you have a firearm
2. its on your bedside table
3. you are in a clear enough mental state to use it without accidentally shooting your wife or capping your dog.
4. you would even wake up (i doubt i would unless the breadknife woke me)
5. if you did have a gun and it was on your bedside table, you did wake up, you were compus mentus and managed not to fill the wife full of lead.........would you really care what the rozzers were going to say about it when they turn up next tuesday after you killed the guy out of pure fear and surprise, i doubt i would.

A firearm on your bedside table :?: Wouldn't be much room for anything else with a shotgun or rifle there, as owning a handgun is illegal in the UK.

Softus";p="954230 said:
A burglar will look like this:

Keith%20burglar%20with%20Mike.JPG

the only thing that springs to mind is, if the scouser is robbing your house, why on earth do you sleep in the balaclava? is it so you can sneak up on the scally?

A firearm on your bedside table :?: Wouldn't be much room for anything else with a shotgun or rifle there, as owning a handgun is illegal in the UK.

no, it depends on the type of handgun, some are legal if a little useless. anyway i was being facetious.

Given the proposed scenario - wake up, burglar in house, possess firearm (and firearm is accessable) you bascially need to call the police if you can do so without alerting the burglar - if wife etc. is in the house get your gun and terrify the burglar while your partner calls the police, there's a reason why the army shout and yell angrily when taking prisoners - it engenders confusion in the in the mind of the burglar and this in turn increases suggestability reducing the liklihood of needing to discharge the weapon.

Do not allow the burglar to talk, do not enter into conversation otherwise you will lose the intitiative - if necessary just keep screaming random commands, threats to prevent any dialogue

Get the burglar into a stress position and await the boys in blue.

The danger is where you know someone is in the house but not exactly where - if they become aware of you they will likely try and surprise you and use intimidation as above to place you at their mercy.

The problem in the UK is that by law all firearms have to be secured in a gun cabinet or secure area - unless this is accessible without running into the scally you're best off barricading your family into the most secure upstairs room and calling the cops.

Secondly UK law allows you to defend yourself and your property but only using 'reasonable force' - and this is a very variable and open to interpretation area - e.g. if he has a maglite you can have a baseball/cricket bat etc., if he possesses a knife or other offensive weapon a gun would be permissable as you can rightly be said to be in fear of your life and if he has a gun I don't think there would be too* many problems with you just shooting them.

*too many problems as in - maybe being done for involuntary manslaughter rather than murder... :eek: this country is so great... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back