Should cavity closers be screeded over in new floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after a bit of advice. I've recently had some building work done, part of which was a detached office and workshop in the garden. The builder is under the impression that his job is complete, but upon inspection today, I can see that the cavity closers are still on display in the floor. I'm presuming these should be screeded over to give me a floor I can do something with? I've added a couple of pictures (I hope) for clarity.

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20180203_145700.jpg
    IMG_20180203_145700.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 1,262
  • IMG_20180203_160911.jpg
    IMG_20180203_160911.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 930
Sponsored Links
I'd have thought the doors should be in line with the cavity closers otherwise how can they keep the continuous insulation?
I'm not a builder but that's how it was done in our place, metal plates over the cavity and Windows on top then foamed all round.
If you screed over I can't imagine it would be strong enough as screed isn't structural.
As I say I'm not builder though.

They can't be screeded over else the finished floor will be too high. If they are left they will be bouncy.

You will need an ugly timber threshold board, or he needs to form a proper threshold detail.

He probably did not price for doing it properly.

Cheers for the reply guys. The buildings a bit weird, it's external block and render, but with a timber frame internal. Woody, do you have any examples of what the correct detail should look like? Could 18mm OSB/Ply be laid with the flooring on top? I'm guessing this would bridge the closer and give sufficient strength.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound that weird, that's just Norman timber frame. Normal ply floor boarding is good for 400mm+ gaps when screwed to joists so you should be fine over that small gap.

No idea where Norman came from, clearly I should have said normal!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back