Should I be able to see daylight through the roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of home buying and have had offers accepted on two properties. I have some concerns about the roof of the property that we favour.
The roof dates from the early 1900s and looks to be clay tiled. When in the loft, you can see daylight...a lot of daylight! Pics attached.
A survey will of course tell us all that we need to know, but if a new roof is required at a substantial cost, we may have to rule it out and would probably opt for the second property instead. Can anyone offer any advice? Does anyone know how much we should expect to pay for a new roof with a footprint of roughly 800sq ft?
IMG_4683.JPG
IMG_4690.JPG

Sponsored Links
Its quite normal to see daylight in attic spaces through the eaves, abutments etc..looks like the sun is hitting those tiles at just the right angle to project the rays under them.
Is there any sun light penetrating the roof at the opposite elevation?

That's a good question. It was a particularly sunny day when the photographs were taken. Unfortunately I couldn't see the opposite roof elevation because the roof hatch comes up into the extension, which has a lower roof. I will drive over there today to take a better look from the outside and see if there is anything obvious to note. Thanks for your response, its slightly alleviated my concerns!

Sponsored Links
That's far more daylight that I would expect, and whilst it may be okay as long as the rain is falling in the right direction, if the prevailing winds change, the rain may well get blown in under the gaps.

I think the sun is low and shining under the tiles...those clay belgian type tiles let the light stream through the gaps...

Would stapling something like tyvek be ok?
Attached to the rafters

The thing is is there any evidence of rain getting the timbers wet? If not then it's not going to be a problem. Some photos of the exterior may assist. And hoof it up into the loft again and use your flash. Stapling tyvek to the underside of the rafters is not the answer, the rain will have nowhere to go if is getting through.

The Tyvek would have to be on top of the joists, and underneath the tiles, otherwise any rainwater would end up running down the sides of the joist, and possibly rot them - that's assuming the rain is getting in of course.

Should have been more clear about that, i would only use breathable membrane to stop any wind blown debris/dust from mucking up the attic. it wont do any good if the roof leaks the water will run into the eaves.

Some of the light isn't worrying , a few areas are.
I would get the seller to either get the roof done or make a fair reduction.

Thanks for all of your responses, certainly lots to think about. I didn't manage to get over to the property to take some pics until today and could only take some from the front of the house, which is the same part of the roof as the internal shots. I couldn't see anything that looked too bad, apart from leaves in the guttering, but then what do I know!!
a.JPG
b.JPG
c.JPG
d.JPG

Nothing a bit of sandpaper and a lick of paint wont sort out.
Nothing to worry about the roof going by the pics.

Well, those pictures paint a completely different picture. The sun must have been very low down to show so much light under the tiles, as the roof looks fine. The porch needs retiling, and may well requires some new timbers. The cladding needs a good going over, and you'll need scaffolding for that, as does all the paintwork at the front. But, as Alastair says, nothong that can't be fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back